Lee hand cast conicals
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Lee hand cast conicals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 86 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Lee hand cast conicals

I have never used anything but round balls in my revolvers. I just ordered a conical mold from lee for my 58 rem. by Pietta. Just wondering, has anyone else here used these and with what results. .451 swaged round balls seem just shy of what I would expect as far as shaving lead when loading. I had a bigger ring with my Uburti Colt, and Remington and also with my CVA Remington so was thinking of .454 for the Pietta. Then did a off the cuff move and ordered the conical without knowing what the true diameter of the bullet is. Thus this post. Am I just going to end up with another mold like my REAL for the Hawken that just aint worth makin?

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #2

Liked 1803 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

I am interested in what you find. I have an 1851. I shoot round ball only right now. But I have thought about getting a conical mold. I do mold my round balls. Please let us know what you find out.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

Default First/last report

The mold showed up sat. Cast up about 20 or so on Sun morning. Like all the Lee molds I have used, it tossed out pretty bullets almost right away. My fear was that they would be too small for the Peitta but a test fit in the spare cylinder proved otherwise. I picked out 6 and started to lube the grooves with bore butter (a bit of a pain) and loaded the cylinder (out of the gun) with six charges of 25 gr of 3f, put the cylinder in the gun and tried to load a bullet. It wouldn't fit, the frame around the loading lever is in the way and the loading lever won't go far enough forward to allow you place the bullet right under it to load.
I removed the cylinder and used a short starter to start each bullet up to the second ring (not easy). Then I had to put the cylinder in my vise and tap the bullets down using the short starter and a rubber hammer (did not like that) to seat them but they each shaved off a very nice little ring of lead while loading.
On the range...target: 5 in. square of 3/8 plate steel hanging form chains. Steady on a post 15 yards away, rang the bell 5 out of 6 times (most likely my fault, I think I flinched). Seemed to have at least as much power as my 9mm with 115 gr FMJ.
In summery, easy to cast, lubing the grooves is messy and time consuming, need a loading stand to load (at least with the Peitta) accurate and hard hitting. I will be ordering a .451 round ball mold.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 02-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #4

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The LEE conicals comes in two sizes one for the Remington and one for the Ruger Old Army. The conical made for the ROA works in the ROA and the Rogers & Spencer. The Remington Conical is too small for the ROA the ROA conical is too large for the Remington.
The LEE conical is more like the loads used back in the day. During the Civil War issued paper Ctgs. used conicals not round balls. The conical loaded over Triple 7 and tumble lubed with LEE Alox makes a very powerful accurate handgun load. Make sure you use only pure lead to avoid an over sized hard to seat conical. The chamber mouths should be chamfered to allow proper alignment and seating. The much longer bearing surface of the conical over the round ball allows much higher pressures more energy on the target.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the info nightstalker. I shot some round balls after the conicals and must say that the conicals are much more accurate. I may just make a loading stand so I can use these, it's a shame they can't be loaded on the gun.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #6

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

t-duck, I don't understand why you are having a loading problem. I have used many of these in my handguns never had such a problem?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #7

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

As far a round balls go my pietta 1860 army likes the .454 balls, shaves the perfect ring when loading, I've been wanting to try conicals as well, can you buy them or do you need to cast em, and where did you find the mold for them?

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

Old 02-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #8

Nightstalker, what flavor of guns are you using? I currently have a Peitta 1858 Remington. It is not a perfect replica and the cylinders are not chamfered. I will muck with it some more, but the loading lever frame seems to be in the way. If I need to, I will make a loading stand because I sure did like the way the conicals performed compared to the round balls. a chanfered cylinder would sure make starting them easier. Not overly impressed with the Peitta, one cylinder fitted with #11 nipples and the other with #10??

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 03-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #9

Ordered a loading tool so I can use the conicals. No matter what I tried, I can not load them using the loading lever on the gun. Once you press fit one into a chamber up to the first ring, you can't rotate the cylinder to get it under the loading lever. So if you have a Pietta 1858 Remington new army, you will need a loading stand to load a 200 gr Lee hand cast conical. Not too big a deal given the ease in which the cylinders can be removed on the Reminton but still something to consider.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts

I have used conicals in my Pietta 51 navy and they do load on the gun but its not easy to do so. Round balls are more accurate.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php