Lead vs Wheel Weight Balls?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Lead vs Wheel Weight Balls?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lead vs Wheel Weight Balls?

The local gunsmith tells me I have to use soft lead and wheel weights are ok for a rifle but the Sporting Goods Store says Lead is too expensive now and they don't carry it but wheel weights are fine. I just finished casting a big ole bag of .451 balls out of wheel weights now I need to know if I can use them in my Pietta Remington and more importantly why? or why not? Is damage to the gun or injury to self at risk?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Wheel weights have to much tin in them and will not be as accurate as solid pure lead, they will also make a tinging sound when they leave the barrel, they are harder on your loading lever and rifling in the barrel. For just messing around it would be ok. I made the mistake and did not use pure lead, it defiantly effected accuracy. I shoot in the NSSA where accuracy is important. Check ebay for pure lead. I think you will notice a difference. As far as safety you might break your loading lever trying to seat your balls...