Kit Rifles
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Kit Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 01:16 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 237 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 518

Default Kit Rifles

So I am thinking of doing a kit rifle and am pretty set on a hawken .50 for the project. Maybe later I will do a Kentucky kit. So I was wondering what kits would you recommend, I have been looking at Dixie gun works and traditions so far.

Also how hard are they to build and how hard is it to blue the barrel? Any information would be fantastic, I am thinking this would be a good winter project.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2014, 02:05 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Cool beans maybe we both can learn some stuff!! I am really looking forward to building and enjoying one, and am glad I am not the only one here!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-25-2014, 02:10 AM   #3

Liked 2018 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1347

This is of interest to me as well. I have an old 50 Hawken. But I would like to built something else too.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 08-25-2014, 04:15 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Complexity of a build will be all over the place. Some kits require significant metal and wood fitting- some if you shake the box gently, it will self assemble.

MOST hobbyists are not going to able to do hot caustic blue, since it requires bluing tanks, heat source, yadda yadda

Options-
1. Do all the metal polishing, take it to a smith for hot blue
2. Cold blue- and it will suck.
3. Brown it. Birchwood Casey Plum Brown does decent job
4. RUST blue it. Can be done well by a hobbyist, and is likely more authentic that the others.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:03 AM   #5

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

C3 that's not fair. He could cold blue it and it might not suck. Plus cold be can be removed fairly easy so you can try again. Dixie is usually pretty high priced on their stuff so I say shop around. If you do this project - - take your time! Work slow and careful. Ask questions on here during the project because many of us on here have down these. They can be alot of fun and if you are careful can come out excellent. A good beginner project.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-26-2014, 03:27 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ok so what kits would any of you recommend? Are the traditions decent, they seem to be rather prevalent? Also what is this rust bluing you speak of?

--George Washington

Old 08-26-2014, 03:41 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 237 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Check out Cabela. They have rifle and pistol kits and most of the information of the helpful kind.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:13 AM   #8
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1891 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 5692

My advice. . . .50 caliber due to the availability of components. Years ago, I picked up a kit from my (at the time) BIL. The .45 caliber kit from CVA was easy with moderate to advanced skill.

Blueing the barrel was problematic. Casey Blue was acceptable.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Colmustard where are you at in Ohio? I ask because there is a gun shop just outside of Lodi Oh. that does only black powder stuff. They have a class/workshop/I'm not sure what to call it, on Saturdays where people get together to build rifles and pistols. Not everyone is building the same thing as far as I know, but the staff is there to teach and help.

I won't name it here because I don't know the rules about that sort of thing, I will state that I have no affiliation with the shop other than as an occasional customer(about an hour drive for me). I have considered signing up but I drive 55-60 hours a week now and the 2 hour round trip on my day off just doesn't sound like fun.

They have an outdoor range behind the building, and better still in the back room is a pretty large collection of firearms from the early Ohio gun makers, all with a small card under it telling who made it and when and where. He also has a few pieces of early tooling that is really interesting too.

You can PM me for the name of the shop or if mod happens to check in here and says its ok I will post the name and a link.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I live in the corn fields about 45 min. From dayton.

--George Washington