Kirst konversion cylinder for my .44 Uberti Dragoon
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Kirst konversion cylinder for my .44 Uberti Dragoon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Kirst konversion cylinder for my .44 Uberti Dragoon

I received my .44 Dragoon on the 15th and decided to convert it to .45 Long Colt centerfire. The Kirst cylinder was ordered last Sunday and was at my door on Wednesday. The fit and finish was perfect, a VERY high quality accessory indeed. No timing or fitment issues, only a loading gate cut had to be made in the frame. I used a 1/2 carbide grinding bit in an air drill, about 30 minutes of careful work. Then about an hour of progressively finer sandpaper until the metal surface matched the outer frame. A good swirling of cold blue and a excellent blend-in on the finish. I'm very happy with the result.... I reload for my Vaqueros and this Cowboy Action loading (1000 FPS) or less is required using this conversion.

dragoon-conversion-007.jpg   dragoon-conversion-008.jpg   dragoon-conversion-009.jpg   dragoon-conversion-017.jpg   dragoon-conversion-013.jpg  

TACTICAL22.NET,NRA, VCDL

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you pull your hammer back to full cock before lowering it you'll stop scoring the cylinder.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 06-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Looks good to me.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
If you pull your hammer back to full cock before lowering it you'll stop scoring the cylinder.
Several guys have handled it, I figured it is gonna be shot a lot, so no sense in me getting upset....

TACTICAL22.NET,NRA, VCDL

Old 06-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #5

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

looks awsome!

hows it shoot...range report?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Shoots great! the cylinder stop needs a slight adjustment, nothing serious.

TACTICAL22.NET,NRA, VCDL

Old 07-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #7

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I've got a '58 Remington revolver in .44 cal and I have Kirst conversion cylinders (two in 45LC and one 45ACP) for them. They REALLY add to the guns versatility. What I especially like is that I have the ability to use modern ammo if I want to but can still use the gun as a cap & ball revolver if the need arises. I got the conversions a number of years ago when they were only $99 and wish I had purchased more after seeing their current price!

Anyway, conversions are really great. I love 'em and my wife shoots my Remington with the conversions every chance she gets. She says the Remington has much less recoil than the other 45 caliber pistols/revolvers we have and it's more accurate, which probably has to do with the extra weight and barrel length.

BTW, now that you have permanently modified your revolver frame by cutting out an area for the loading gate, I believe your revolver is now a "firearm" as per the ATF. It must now be treated like any modern handgun when traveling, selling it or any other area involving firearms unlike cap & ball guns, where the regs and restrictions don't usually apply. My conversions don't use the loading gate - they didn't offer the gate back then, at least for my model - so the gun wasn't changed aside from the cylinder replacement. It can still be returned to the BP configuration if I want to mail or sell it in the future or take it to a state not as gun friendly as Texas. If you already haven't done so, you may want to check into it just to be safe (and legal) in your part of the country.

Last edited by rachilders; 07-13-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always loved the old single action was thinking about getting one for woods carry (not a ruger) That is one good looking gun sir, looks like you did an awesome job on the loading gate.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."