Kik black powder
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Kik black powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kik black powder

I'm starting to run out of Goex FFg black powder and I was going to try something else. I really like Goex, its been very reliable and fouling isn't to bad but I was just going to try something different this time around. One brand I have heard alot of good things about from live shooters and re-enactors is Kik powder. For the three years I've been shooting I've mostly stuck with Goex so I've never had a chance to shoot Kik. For anyone who has used it what is your expierence with it? How was your shot to shot consistancy, reliability and fouling using Kik?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2008, 01:12 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick214 View Post
I'm starting to run out of Goex FFg black powder and I was going to try something else. I really like Goex, its been very reliable and fouling isn't to bad but I was just going to try something different this time around. One brand I have heard alot of good things about from live shooters and re-enactors is Kik powder. For the three years I've been shooting I've mostly stuck with Goex so I've never had a chance to shoot Kik. For anyone who has used it what is your expierence with it? How was your shot to shot consistancy, reliability and fouling using Kik?

Never tried Kik - but I've been using some powder called "Elephant" powder for years - and I'm ready to run out and haven't seen it anywhere. It's very consistently grained, and hence is accurately measured for consistency from shot-to-shot. It comes in a can like Goex, but is a black can with yellow and red logo and old English style writing...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-04-2008, 02:19 AM   #3

I'm pretty sure Elephant powder isn't manufactured any more. It was made in Brazil. The company was offered more money for their plant location than annual production so they sold and talked about relocating. So far this hasn't happened. I'm also looking at Schuetzen powder. I found it for $11.00 a pound. I might try that instead of the Kik.

Last edited by Slickrick214; 08-04-2008 at 02:21 AM.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:02 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Elephant powder isn't manufactured any more. It was made in Brazil. The company was offered more money for their plant location than annual production so they sold and talked about relocating. So far this hasn't happened. I'm also looking at Schuetzen powder. I found it for $11.00 a pound. I might try that instead of the Kik.
These days, $11 a lb in cheap. Pyrodex costs more than that - and that stuff is crap. I'll keep looking for Elephant and buy up whatever I can find.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
These days, $11 a lb in cheap. Pyrodex costs more than that - and that stuff is crap. I'll keep looking for Elephant and buy up whatever I can find.
Keep trying but unless you get a miracle and find a store with a huge stash of Elephant powder you'll probably never see it again. I ended up ordering 2 pounds of the Schuetzen powder. We'll see how it works in my gun. Hopefully it will burn consistantly and won't leave to much fouling.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Keep trying but unless you get a miracle and find a store with a huge stash of Elephant powder you'll probably never see it again. I ended up ordering 2 pounds of the Schuetzen powder. We'll see how it works in my gun. Hopefully it will burn consistantly and won't leave to much fouling.

Let me know how it works. I'll have to decide on what to use before this next season and would be interested in hearing about Scheutzen

Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #7

OK I will. It might be awhile though I still have a decent amount of rounds to go through with the Goex powder.