Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Kik black powder (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/kik-black-powder-6031/)

Slickrick214 08-03-2008 08:59 PM

Kik black powder

I'm starting to run out of Goex FFg black powder and I was going to try something else. I really like Goex, its been very reliable and fouling isn't to bad but I was just going to try something different this time around. One brand I have heard alot of good things about from live shooters and re-enactors is Kik powder. For the three years I've been shooting I've mostly stuck with Goex so I've never had a chance to shoot Kik. For anyone who has used it what is your expierence with it? How was your shot to shot consistancy, reliability and fouling using Kik?

RL357Mag 08-04-2008 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickrick214 (Post 34714)
I'm starting to run out of Goex FFg black powder and I was going to try something else. I really like Goex, its been very reliable and fouling isn't to bad but I was just going to try something different this time around. One brand I have heard alot of good things about from live shooters and re-enactors is Kik powder. For the three years I've been shooting I've mostly stuck with Goex so I've never had a chance to shoot Kik. For anyone who has used it what is your expierence with it? How was your shot to shot consistancy, reliability and fouling using Kik?

Never tried Kik - but I've been using some powder called "Elephant" powder for years - and I'm ready to run out and haven't seen it anywhere. It's very consistently grained, and hence is accurately measured for consistency from shot-to-shot. It comes in a can like Goex, but is a black can with yellow and red logo and old English style writing...

Slickrick214 08-04-2008 02:19 AM

I'm pretty sure Elephant powder isn't manufactured any more. It was made in Brazil. The company was offered more money for their plant location than annual production so they sold and talked about relocating. So far this hasn't happened. I'm also looking at Schuetzen powder. I found it for $11.00 a pound. I might try that instead of the Kik.

RL357Mag 08-09-2008 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickrick214 (Post 34759)
I'm pretty sure Elephant powder isn't manufactured any more. It was made in Brazil. The company was offered more money for their plant location than annual production so they sold and talked about relocating. So far this hasn't happened. I'm also looking at Schuetzen powder. I found it for $11.00 a pound. I might try that instead of the Kik.

These days, $11 a lb in cheap. Pyrodex costs more than that - and that stuff is crap. I'll keep looking for Elephant and buy up whatever I can find.

Slickrick214 08-12-2008 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 35394)
These days, $11 a lb in cheap. Pyrodex costs more than that - and that stuff is crap. I'll keep looking for Elephant and buy up whatever I can find.

Keep trying but unless you get a miracle and find a store with a huge stash of Elephant powder you'll probably never see it again. I ended up ordering 2 pounds of the Schuetzen powder. We'll see how it works in my gun. Hopefully it will burn consistantly and won't leave to much fouling.

RL357Mag 08-14-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickrick214 (Post 35790)
Keep trying but unless you get a miracle and find a store with a huge stash of Elephant powder you'll probably never see it again. I ended up ordering 2 pounds of the Schuetzen powder. We'll see how it works in my gun. Hopefully it will burn consistantly and won't leave to much fouling.

Let me know how it works. I'll have to decide on what to use before this next season and would be interested in hearing about Scheutzen

Slickrick214 08-20-2008 07:23 PM

OK I will. It might be awhile though I still have a decent amount of rounds to go through with the Goex powder.