Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Keeping power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Keeping power

Are you only allowed to keep so much gun powder at one time in the USA or does it vary per State?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker View Post
Are you only allowed to keep so much gun powder at one time in the USA or does it vary per State?
Interesting question. I never thought this was a problem. I'll have to check around.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #3

The laws have changed in recent years concerning black powder. When I buy it I only get 2 pounds at a time. If you buy more than that the seller has to fill out some sort of BATFE form. So I don't bother with it.
You can get a dealer's permit of some sort. I don't know what is involved.
I'm in a Civil War reenacting group and we have a member who buys in bulk but I've never asked about the process.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #4

How much do you use every time you shoot?

Old 04-21-2007, 03:08 AM   #5

50 grains a pop. It's easy to go through a couple of pounds of Goex during a two day event.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtroyb View Post
The laws have changed in recent years concerning black powder. When I buy it I only get 2 pounds at a time. If you buy more than that the seller has to fill out some sort of BATFE form. So I don't bother with it.
You can get a dealer's permit of some sort. I don't know what is involved.
I'm in a Civil War reenacting group and we have a member who buys in bulk but I've never asked about the process.
What I'd like to find is a carrier that will ship triple Se7en without a ridiculous $20 surcharge. I used to buy black powder for about $5/lb when I was a teenager, now this new "propellant" costs $25/lb plus the fee for transporting it. I live in the Texas Panhandle and ride a bicycle, take a public bus to Plainview to get things I can't get in town or get shipped for a reasonable price, but they won't let me carry triple se7en on the damn bus.

I'm just not gonna pay $55 for a pound of fake blackpowder. Anybody know a legal workaround? Thanks

--

Yours truly,

The Lone Weasel

Old 05-17-2007, 05:34 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Weasel View Post
What I'd like to find is a carrier that will ship triple Se7en without a ridiculous $20 surcharge. I used to buy black powder for about $5/lb when I was a teenager, now this new "propellant" costs $25/lb plus the fee for transporting it. I live in the Texas Panhandle and ride a bicycle, take a public bus to Plainview to get things I can't get in town or get shipped for a reasonable price, but they won't let me carry triple se7en on the damn bus.

I'm just not gonna pay $55 for a pound of fake blackpowder. Anybody know a legal workaround? Thanks

--

Yours truly,

The Lone Weasel
Most Walmarts and gun shops sell BP substitutes, most sell for about $15.00 a pound, reenactors usually buy wholesale under a club lic., there ain't no legal short cuts, ps- Black powder is still the best.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:07 AM   #8

I have seen it (Real BP) recently for as low as 9.00 a pound. Some mail order houses will throw in the shipping and hazmat if you buy 25 pounds. Get your club together for a group purchase. You can't legally resell the powder without a Federal Explosives License, but you can ' distribute " it to club members.

If you go somewhere and buy it, they won't sell you more than 25 pounds.
Even if you take a car load of people with you, you can't carry
more than 50 pounds in a private vehicle.

Check Maine Powder House or Upper Missouri Trading.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #9

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

State or local laws may be more restrictive, but BATF regs. limit you to a max. of 50 lbs in your posession at one time. In some cases they do allow a greater amount, but then your looking at special storage locations, specific powder magizines, and a host of other issues.