Jason and the Black Powder Colt
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Jason and the Black Powder Colt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Jason and the Black Powder Colt

This is not only a good story, but a lesson for those that would buy a gun and not read the manual that comes with it. It also will give you a few tips on how to load a cap and ball black powder pistol. (or how not to load it)
This story starts at the home of my shooting buddy and fellow teacher, Dave. We were sitting around his den talking guns and looking over his black powder replica pistol. And the door bell rang.
It turned out to be his nephew. His wife's sister's boy. I'll change his name to hide the guilty.
Let's call him Jason.
Now Jason was and still is, a rich spoiled brat. Dave's sister-and-law married well and Jason has money to burn. He is such a obnoxious young man that he even has to buy his enemies. He flaunts his money and generally is a pest.
He came to see his aunt but kept hanging around us. He obviously over heard Dave and I talking about going to the range the next day to shoot Dave's new cap and ball revolver.
So here we are at the range and Jason shows up.
"Hi Guys, look what I got!!" And he displayed a brand new, in the presentation box, 3rd generation Colt cap and ball Navy pistol, with all the accessories of course. "It cost me $1200 dollars" he bragged.
"Yeah Yeah Jason," I mumbled and went back to loading my cheap $100 replica. After I was loaded up I happened to glance down the bench and saw Jason with a lead ball sitting on top of the muzzle and he was trying to force it down the barrel.
I went over to him and said, "Jason it doesn't go in the barrel it goes down here in the cylinder."
"Ohh," he commented, "I know that, I was just checking to see if it fit"
I went back to my shooting.
Finished one round and looked over at Jason. He was hammering the lead ball into the cylinder with the end of a hunting knife.
"Jason, look here, there is a real neat little lever built right into the pistol and with it you can swage the ball in very easily." I said.
"Ohh, I knew that," he said, "I was just checking to see if it would fit."
This time I kept my eye on him and when he was all done I went over to make sure he did it right.
"Very good, Jason, you got them all in, a little battered maybe, but in. What charge of powder did you use?" I asked.
"Powder?" Jason queried?
So I got my tools and took the nipples out and managed to push all the battered up lead balls out the cylinder.
As I was shooting now I couldn't watch Jason all the time and Dave told me later that Jason did not use a powder measure but just poured the cylinders full of 3F black powder and then rammed the flattened lead ball back on top on all.. that powder.
We had stopped shooting and from down the bench we heard Jason. "Hey guys watch this!"
BOOOOM
And Jason disappeared in a cloud of smoke.
OH MY GOD! I Yelled! And ran to the end of the bench.
I waved my hat around to get rid of the smoke so I could find what was left of Jason. Finally he appeared. His face was as black as a minstrels and his eyes were bugged out like a lizard. In his hand he held only the frame of the Colt.
And he said. "WOW"! And that was all. His first shot with that beautiful Colt cost him $1200
What did he do wrong? Everything. But the last thing he really did wrong was not putting some sealant over each and every chamber. We use commercial sealant or even Crisco works good. Just smear enough over the bullets to seal them. You see with black powder guns, the first chamber going off sends a blast of flame all over the front of the cylinder. If you do not seal the chambers the flame will actually get under the bullet in the chambers on each side and set off a chain reaction. In micro-seconds all 6 of the chambers go off at once. As they did with Jason. He came out of it with only some burns but.....he could have been injured fatally.
If he had only read the Manufactures safety booklet.
Sarge

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #2

Liked 356 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257 View Post
What did he do wrong? Everything.
Sarge
Interesting story all right.

My question is -- what did the 2 "experienced" shooters next to him do wrong?

Old 10-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Firearms are on the short list of where i put my macho away and read the instructions first.

Thanks for the story Sarge.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 10-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Interesting story all right.

My question is -- what did the 2 "experienced" shooters next to him do wrong?

Afraid I have to agree. Regardless how you feel about "Jason", you are obligated to make sure he knew what he was doing all the way through. Your first clue would have been when you saw him trying to force a ball down the barrel. You're very lucky he was not seriously injured.

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 10-19-2010, 04:23 AM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Jason

What you are saying is true, however you can only baby sit a grown adult so far. We didn't invite him and I helped him when I saw him doing something wrong. While I was shooting he managed to cap and get ready to shoot without me knowing it. I am surprized that Dave didn't keep an eye on him, he was his nephew. Maybe my old buddy was hoping it would be the last time Jason stuck his strutting bragging nose in someone else's business. Unfortunately Jason is a slow learner. He has totaled two Corvettes so far.

Sarge

Old 10-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #6

Default expecting

Dang; Sarge; Sir, I was expecting another of your ''fun'' stories. wow
Many could have been hurt; This young man, needs help, serious help, before he really harms someone.

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #7

Sarge you oughta take a life insurance policy out on that boy...doubt one would have to wait too awful long to collect.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #8

Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257 View Post
What you are saying is true, however you can only baby sit a grown adult so far. We didn't invite him and I helped him when I saw him doing something wrong. While I was shooting he managed to cap and get ready to shoot without me knowing it. I am surprized that Dave didn't keep an eye on him, he was his nephew. Maybe my old buddy was hoping it would be the last time Jason stuck his strutting bragging nose in someone else's business. Unfortunately Jason is a slow learner. He has totaled two Corvettes so far.

Sarge
where was the range master and for everyones safety you BOTH should of gave him at lest a quick lesson in cap n ball shooting , I have seen frags from exploding black powder guns fly over 50 yards.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Hey now TNRebel, isn't your avatar supposed to be a black bear now? Go Dogs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, i try to look out for the younger people (my nephews' buddies) that go shooting with me sometimes, but i'm not getting in a grown man's business unless he asks me for help or drops a hint that he needs help. It is not my responsibility or chosen life goal to educate EVERYBODY on how to properly handle firearms. I also don't appreciate others getting up in my business unless i ask for their assistance (which i will if i think i might need it). Now if some fool wants to do something unsafe next to my chosen shooting area, i would probably advise him to pick another spot.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.