Iver Johnson 12ga Black Powder - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Iver Johnson 12ga Black Powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

The IJ Champion Mdl was made from 1909 to 1948, and should be in the smokeless powder era (patent dates will always be earlier than the date they were made) However, 12 g shells were not always 2 and 3/4 inches long- as the gent above me noted- early shells were 2.5 inches. DO NOT assume that just because a shell will chamber that it is safe to fire- the shotshell opens out into the forcing cone- and excessive length of shell equals VERY high pressures.

Good idea to have this one checked by a gunsmith before shooting.

IJ specialized in making low cost, reliable, working man's guns. In general, they do not have a very high collector's value, which WOULD be damaged by "cleaning up" your shotgun. In other words, feel free, it will not hurt value.

Do not know about "nickel"- these were blued steel, with a color case hardened steel receiver. Most of the bluing and color case hardening is gone due to age and honest wear. Either 0000 steel wool and light oil can be used, or just light oil on a clean cloth, and a LOT of elbow grease. for the stock, Formbys Refinisher (be careful highly flammable) and some Tung Oil or Birchwood Casey oil finish. Yeah, brasso the brass- a coat of neutral shoe polish (kiwi) will help delay it tarnishing.

Old Western Scrounger was one source for old time shotshells.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
The Champions will handle smokeless shells but the chamber length is 2 1/2 inches.
Maybe. They were made into the 1950's as the Champion. At some point
they were lengthened to 2 3/4" chambers. Take it to a gunsmith, have
the chambers measured if you are unsure how to do it yourself.

Blackpowder? No. Champion manufacturing started 1909. Smokeless
shotgun shells came out in the mid 1890's. I wouldn't feed it magnum
loads, but standard pressure 12 ga should be fine if it's in good
shape.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #13

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Thanks gents.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #14

If was me i would leave the way it is. I don't know for sure. But it might be worth some money. If you clean like a new rifle, You may lose value. How does the bore look. Just clean up the bore and the action. I have a real Civil War period rifle. It is a British 3 band Infield 58cal percussion with a bayonet. It was made by Tower of England in 1857. Now if I buy a gun and is in decent shape. I will shoot it. When I got it I disassembled it. Made sure the cap lock was clean and working. Checked the outside of the barrel. Cleaned the bore out with fine steel wool and oil. I put the cleaning rod on a drill. I did that for two days. Then did the same thing, but used car rubbing compound. It is only about 50%. You got to remember the rifle is 160 years old. But it is a shooter.
The guys in my club just drool over it.
That is what I would do if it was mine.
Shoot srait
Muzzlesmoke

Old 01-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #15

Find out what the value is before you clean it up. I think it is pretty cool. I have CVA SXS 12 percussion and love it. If you decide to sell it let me know. Or we can trade for black powder guns,
Thanks

MUZZLESMOKE If you shoot black powder shoot it out of Pedersoli.....
Laws are spider webs; they hold the weak and delicate who are caught in their meshes, but are torn in pieces by the rich and powerful. OUR GOVERNMENT

Old 01-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #16

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
Will doing things like taking 0000 steel wool to the metal, Brasso to the buttplate and refinishing the stock negatively affect the value?
Unless you get it "restored" by a professional, it'll negatively affect the value.

I have an Eddystone Model of 1917 that was made in 1918. I refinished the wood because I take it out in the rain every so often and it was getting water stained. I would never think of taking anything to the metal other than cloth, plastic brushes, oil and solvents to clean the bore.