Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Interested in getting into BP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Interested in getting into BP

Hi guys. Well, im interested in getting my first black powder gun. I've been doing some level of research and have decided i want a ball and cap revolver and im pretty sure .44 is the way to go. Really this is just gonna be a for fun range gun for me (though i may look into a bp rifle for deer season next year). I really don't wanna spend any more than I have to and I am not looking for an outstanding top of the line gun, just something to introduce me to black powder and something i can enjoy shooting.

Traditions 1851 Navy Black Powder Revolver 44cal Brass (Colt) ** for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $188.00

Would that gun be worth purchasing? Is a brass frame a bad way to go? Any other suggestions for an affordable (under 300 dollars would be ideal, ok if its used as long as it's in fully functioning and safe condition) ball and cap revolver?

any information or opinions would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time

"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #2

Cabela's -- 1860 Army .44 Cal. .44 Caliber Revolver with Starter Kit

Just found this gun. Is it better quality than the other one i posted?

Sorry for posting again on my own thread so fast, just trying to show you guys the kind of things i'm looking at to make it easier for you to give me your opinions.
thanks again
"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"

Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm pretty sure the Cabala's revolver is a Pietta. I had one in .44 and it was a very good firearm. I don't know who makes the Traditions model, but the Pietta is very good quality.

Have fun.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Wings:

Buy the steel framed pistol from Cabelas.

Buy a copy of the Lyman's Black Powder handbook and read it cover to cover.

TXnorton

Old 12-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #5

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Make sure you get an 1858 remington model type black pistol. This is the gun used in pale rider where clint eastwood swapped out cylinders to reload. Ive owned one for a year now and it is my favorite gun of all time. Some people like piettas some people like ubertis. Spare cylinders for pietta revolvers are half the price of ubertis for some reason.