Inline vs traditional. Why the pissing match?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Inline vs traditional. Why the pissing match?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Default Inline vs traditional. Why the pissing match?

So I have been looking around at the different forums and there seems to be this venomous disagreement about which is more ethical for hunting in muzzle loading season. I have them both and hunt with them both. I guess I am not so sure why there is a pissing match. To me it seems kinda like the 30-06 guys getting mad at the 300win mag guys. Maybe one of you guys can give your thoughts on the topic.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 497

In many states it's called a "primitive weapons" season. An inline with synthetic "black powder" sabot bullets and optical sights are essentially no different than a modern single shot.
The idea of a primitive weapons season was that you were at a disadvantage,the original intent has been circumvented and some of the traditionalist are crying foul!
People Like This 
Old 11-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

I guess I'm other states I can see their point. Here in co there are no sabots no pellitized powder and no optics allowed during muzzle loading season.
People Like This 
Old 11-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2156 Times on 1323 Posts
Likes Given: 12075

Because a lot of the tradition-al folks are purists, and feel that the inline gives more of an advantage. To them, it is not Primitive Hunting when a properly set up inline with modern conicals, powder pellets, and a full on modern rifle scope can allow a shooter to be more accurate at longer ranges. To them, and to some degree I agree with them, it takes the challenge out of the hunt.

I have and shoot both types of M\L, and to me, if you are sucking in sulfer after your shot, you are still sucking in sulfer. As a hunter, I feel that I owe that game animal a quick, clean kill, as I would want if I were in it's foot steps. This is why my cap locks and flint locks are mostly range toys (with the exception of the PA flintlock only deer season on Presque Isle state park in the bay in Erie), and my magnum inlines are my hunters. I am not saying that the old stuff will not get the job done. It will. My question is if you had to defend your home and your family and you had the choice between a modern pump action shotgun\AR-15 and a single shot shotgun, which would you use?

Both will get the job done, but why not take every advantage you can? in some places you can still run a hog with dogs and finish it off with a knife. I have seen what happens first hand when things go wrong doing it this way, and I will always hog hunt with a gun after that. *

* I was on a hog hunt in NC where one of the guys decided to show dad and I "How a Man kills a hog" when his curs pinned one down. 3 hours from the nearest hospital, he walked in with his knife out, and lunged in to double lung it with a 12 inch Bowie knife. That 200 pound hog whipped it's head up, and laid his forearm open to the bone with his cutters, Dumb azz got a 6 inch laceration for his troubles, and I wound up putting a slug into the hogs CNS to finish it. thankfully dad kept a trauma kit in the truck, and he knew how to use it. We were able to stop the bleeding, and get him to the closest ER before he bled out. Life lesson, use every advantage you have in everything you do, and learn how to properly treat as many injuries as you can when someone does something incredibly stupid.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
People Like This 
Old 11-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10385 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

Kfox- excellent example of evolution in action.

Old military adage- if you find that you are in a fair fight.... your planning sucked!
People Like This 
Old 11-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I personally like the more traditional approach and started shooting black powder back around 1972 just before the movie Jeremiah Johnson came out. For many of the guys in this area its more about extending the season than doing it the old fashion way. Inlines rule in this area. While my physical address is in S. Maine I only sleep here, I live in NH. The NH black powder season usually begins 10 days prior to the regular season, Maine in their infinite wisdom has the black powder hunt after the regular season.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Kfox- excellent example of evolution in action.

Old military adage- if you find that you are in a fair fight.... your planning sucked!
OK I yield I find nothing on Kfox please elucidate?

Old 11-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10385 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

The post immediately above mine was by kfox75. Re: idiot who decides to take a feral hog with a Bowie knife- and finds out the hard way that piggy has a blade of his own.
People Like This 
Old 11-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 686 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1487

I have neither, so I have no dog in this fight. However, I'd compare it to the crossbow, compound bow, and the traditional bow. It's all "bow hunting", but I do see a considerable difference between them.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:22 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6658 Times on 3542 Posts

i prefer patch and ball over saboted bullet.

the reason: Price of ammunition.

i can roll 50 patched ball for the price of just one sabot bullet

my patch and ball rifle will shoot with any inline just fine and better than most.

there is nothing an inline does that the cheaper patch and ball ammo doesnt equal.

does that mean i think you shouldnt use an inline?? no, go for it.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
kfox75 Likes This 
Closed Thread