Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > I'm new to muzzleloading guys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I'm new to muzzleloading guys

I've become very interested in giving muzzleloader hunting a shot. I would like to purchase a very cheap weapon to start off with and upgrade at a later date if I decide I enjoy the experience. I do intend to just pick it up at the local Cabela's. I've been considering these options they offer.

-T/C Impact $249.99
-Tradition Canyon $129.88 (with case)
-Traditions Buckstalker $199.99

As a cheap gun to just try out muzzleloading for a season or two I find them hard to beat. I just want opinions and other options you all may of come across. Preferably under $250 with $300 being my absolute limit.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I think u r on the right track.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8449 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

FWIW, when everyone started looking for the newest in-line, #209 primer, pelleted pyrodex, saboted pistol bullet, a lot of traditional sidelock #11 cap rifles found their way to the used market. I paid $150for a TC Hawken, 50 cal, set triggers, does a WONDERFUL job with .50 cal Maxiballs. Shop around- check the internet auction sites (gunbroker, auctionarms, gunsamerica).

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you have a blackpowder club in your area, it would be worth your while to join up and enjoy the fellowship and learn from the members. I started with a CVA Kentucky then to a CVA Big Bore .54 kit, then began building my own rifles in the 1970's. It is a sport that you will either like or not like, and if you do, it will begin to grow. I have 3 rifles on my bench right now getting stocked. They are 5/8 scale .38 cal. replicas of a full stock walnut Hawken, a Vincent, and a curly ash stocked Tennessee mountain rifle. These will go to my grandsons as soon as they are big enough to handle them, in about another year. Meanwhile, I intend to hunt with them, and I intend to blood them first.

Apparently this sport grew on me as I now have over 50 rifles and shotguns. ha.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Where you located ? I've got a .54 cal TC cap lock that's already "blooded" along with ball, patches and sundries I'd part with for a reasonable price ! >MW

Old 06-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #6

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I shoot a CVA magnum inline. Not pretty a pain in the azz to load the 209 primer. Fun though.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I would counsel in the direction of the CVA Wolf. Its relatively inexpensive, highly accurate, a true meat and potatoes gun.

You will want to look for a "break action" type gun. Being an inline/break action, it makes for easy cleaning/maintenance. This will be a key component to wether or not you stick with M/Ling or not. Its also easy to find sabots, powders and other supplies.

Side locks, altho more "traditional" are a royal pain in the behind when it comes to cleaning/maintenance.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

If your looking for something a tad more traditional than an inline keep an eye out for a cabelas hawken. They are inexpensive and an exact copy of a t/c. It isn't that bad to clean. The barrel comes off easily you pour hot soapy water down the barrel and run a patch through it a few times. Run an alcohol soaked patch down it and oil it.

I don't need No stinking signature.