I'm looking into buying a flintlock musket. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > I'm looking into buying a flintlock musket.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sage post there

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
My son has a smooth flinter he got from "Track of the Wolf" I believe. Want to say it was in the 5 to 6 hundred range, made in India but has a good lock, Teak stock? Can't hit crap with a ball over 25 yards, now he just uses bird shot most of the time. His buddy has a pistol made in India and it is absolute junk. I drilled the touch hole for him and could see right off this thing was just a wall hanger (and really not much of that either).
Good sage experienced post there !
Personally I would be learly to light off anything near my face and head that hasen't been proofed ? Probably would remote light one if I had one for the first shot , but I would always have it in the back of my mind this India pile of gun is going to blow me up eventually . Think I will stick with guns made with pride and craftsmenship and proofed , Italy , America and the like .

Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sing it, Kelly-A!
Speaking for myself, I learned a long time ago that going "cheap" generally gets you a "cheap" product. I dunno what you did to jack up an 870-

Old 01-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #23

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New and Used Flinter Kits.

Cabela's Traditional Hawken Flintlock with Starter Kit - Right Hand, Traditional Rifles & Shotguns, Black Powder, Shooting : Cabela's

Lyman Great Plains Black Powder Rifle Unassembled Kit, .54 Caliber, Flintlock Action, 1 in 60'' Twist, 32'' Barrel, 6031115

I had a Co-worker receive a X-mas gift of a .58cal Cabelas Flinter Hawken, the Hawken has a Hooked Breech It'd wouldent be too much of a strech to fit a smoothbore barrel to the Hawken Stock.

FLINTLOCKS - Great Plains Flintlock Muzzleloader .50 Caliber 32 Inch Barrel The Guns and Gear Store - Quality Hunting, Reloading, Shooting, and Outerwear Supplies... the BEST Prices Always! Shop Here for Great Deals! The Guns and Gear Store is the On

Thompson/Center Arms 5043 Hawken Rifle 50 Caliber, Flint Lock, 28 Barrel (Right Hand) / Muzzleloading > Rifles / Thompson/Center Arms 5043 [5043 ~ SKU 17468] - $758.46 : Price Insanity!

I'd think It wouldnt be to hard to find a Flinter kit, The DIXIE Gun Works paper catalog is chock full of replica flinter kits in RH and LH.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_92_186_190

Same for Track Of the Wolf.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 01-09-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'd say at this point that you're beating a dead horse BD if you think you'll get anyone to suggest a "solid" sub $500 musket. If you are really wanting to get into it that badly, save your money up and get a solid rifle/musket.

You're getting solid advice from the best BP guys in the forum so take it (the advice)..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 01-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #25

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Build what you want one part at a time.

Johnny Cash had a old song of building his own Cadillac at a reduced price, the name of the Song was: I built it one Piece at a Time

Buy subcomponets of a particular model you want, Lock, Stock, Barrel, hardware, then blowing a wad of $900 in one shot isant so painfull, is done in installements, Just buy a popular English or French Kit Musket (lots of parts) Track of the Wolf is a good source for these parts, Then you'd be set to go.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partList.aspx?catID=13&subID=77&styleID=286

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 01-10-2012 at 07:51 PM.