I'm looking into buying a flintlock musket. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > I'm looking into buying a flintlock musket.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Incdently,

I just lookd at that link and those prices seem reasonable to me assuming these guns aren't chinese or indian junk.

Maybe if you just want to save a few bucks buy one used off another reinactor.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #12

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
also, these are the ones that need their flashhole/fire hole drilled that I was talking about:
Flintlock Muskets and Pistols - Black Powder Muzzleloaders
are they suitable for my needs or are they garbage?
PS: I particularly like the look of the brown bess carbine and the baker rifle in that line up, any opinions against it?
They're made in India. Some people like them most have had problems. Look at some of these. They're supposedly built from parts supplied from India and are a better product. I don't know that for sure tho.

Middlesex Village Trading Company

If you want a good quality flintlock IMHO you're going to pay for it whether it's smooth or rifled.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 12-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
They're made in India. Some people like them most have had problems. Look at some of these. They're supposedly built from parts supplied from India and are a better product. I don't know that for sure tho.

Middlesex Village Trading Company

If you want a good quality flintlock IMHO you're going to pay for it whether it's smooth or rifled.
what are the specific problems they have with them? and how do you know the ones in my link are Indian made? jw

Old 12-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #14

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Google is your friend.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #15

Default Remington

$100 H and R break-barrel against a $400 Remington 870 Pump is not a fair comparison since one is a break barrel design with nearly Zero moving parts compaired to a Pump Operated shotgun . What are you ever gonna break on a Break-barrel anywayz ? To break a 870 you would seriously have to be a gun abuzer extreme . I have never even seen anyone wear one out ?
I think the India guns should be right up your alley for sure , cheap , horrible quality , and they should take some serious abuse and still work , for awhile .
The only thing I have heard good about them is price . Hardening of parts is a whole seperate issue on them , very inconsistant . Once again the lesson missed here is YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

Old 12-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Blackdragon, just a suggestion - Lyman has a pretty good reputation for quality, and their Deerstalker flintlock can be had for less than $400 USD - maybe you can find a gunsmith who would ream it out to smoothbore for another $100 ?

Old 12-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9557 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Ref: undrilled flash holes- In the US, a muzzleloading firearm, regardless of age, is an antique, and falls outside of the 1968 Gun Control Act. As such, they can be shipped by US mail around the country, do not require Dealers to maintain paperwork, require no background check, etc.

That is not the law in ALL countries.

In some, a working Brown Bess is a firearm, and subject to a lot of legal restrictions. But until the flashole is drilled, it is simply a bit of metal tubing and a bit of wood traveling around together.

A goodly portion of what you are paying for is historical accuracy- of key importance to some re-enactors that will not wear underwear with machine stitching in it. Myself, I shoot a caplock Thompson-Center 50 cal Hawken rifle. It is not historically accurate- has a couple of coil springs, stainless nipple, micrometer sights etc. Would make a re-enactor swoon at the heresy- but it is damned reliable, and more accurate than I am.

You pays yer money, you takes your pick. But I would point out one thing- since there is no flashole, what you are buying has never been proof fired (and the company disavows resposibility for any gun altered to become a shooter. ) (translation- you're on your own)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 12-31-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1343 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/will-1-66-rifling-twist-effect-shot-load-like-rifled-shotgun-54467/

When all else fails.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #19

what's your point? I'm allowed to post two different threads if they are on different subjects, this one is on a musket and the other in on a flintlock rifle.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #20

Liked 106 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 34

My son has a smooth flinter he got from "Track of the Wolf" I believe. Want to say it was in the 5 to 6 hundred range, made in India but has a good lock, Teak stock? Can't hit crap with a ball over 25 yards, now he just uses bird shot most of the time. His buddy has a pistol made in India and it is absolute junk. I drilled the touch hole for him and could see right off this thing was just a wall hanger (and really not much of that either).

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer