Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   I'm interested in getting a flintlock musket/shotgun in Canada (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/im-interested-getting-flintlock-musket-shotgun-canada-55503/)

blackdragon 01-14-2012 10:24 PM

I'm interested in getting a flintlock musket/shotgun in Canada

I'm looking for something that will endure shooting and hunting, but not be overly expensive. what would be your choice for a good qualityflintlock musket or shotgun but at the lowest safe price possible?
I know about the Indian made muskets and such, I'm looking for the most bang for the buck and not something meant to stay on the wall and look pretty. I want something for hunting and target shooting.

towboater 01-16-2012 06:58 PM

I've heard good things about these.
replica guns for sale, Pedersoli is historical firearms and guns.

orangello 01-16-2012 07:47 PM

Traditions is suposed to be a budget-friendly brand. I have a little sidelock pistol from them that i really have enjoyed; it was on sale for $150. The flintlock long guns will be a good bit more.

PA-Pellet-50-cal-flintlock-select-hardwood-blued-Information

I'm not up for flint yet, but this caplock looks like a real steal to me: Hawken .50 Caliber Percussion Black Laminate/Nickel-Information
Check out the Special Offers area, though i didn't see any flintlocks.

Why Flint over caps? It seems like the flint people are more into the nostalgia and replica side of things than the cap-poppers.

blackdragon 01-17-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 679023)
Traditions is suposed to be a budget-friendly brand. I have a little sidelock pistol from them that i really have enjoyed; it was on sale for $150. The flintlock long guns will be a good bit more.

PA-Pellet-50-cal-flintlock-select-hardwood-blued-Information

I'm not up for flint yet, but this caplock looks like a real steal to me: Hawken .50 Caliber Percussion Black Laminate/Nickel-Information
Check out the Special Offers area, though i didn't see any flintlocks.

Why Flint over caps? It seems like the flint people are more into the nostalgia and replica side of things than the cap-poppers.

I was asking about muskets, not rifles. muskets have smoothbores, rifles have rifled bores.

KAB 01-17-2012 12:38 AM

Not true

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdragon (Post 679313)
I was asking about muskets, not rifles. muskets have smoothbores, rifles have rifled bores.

Muskets have rifled bores too , if they are rifled muskets ;)

ofitg 01-17-2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdragon (Post 679313)

Blackdragon, about 15 years ago I bought a .54 flintlock Lyman Trade Rifle and a local gunsmith reamed it out to .62 smoothbore for me. He charged me $150. It was cheaper than buying a musket..... and I could buy another .54 rifled barrel if I ever wanted it.

blackdragon 01-17-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAB (Post 679317)
Muskets have rifled bores too , if they are rifled muskets ;)

a musket is a smooth bore, a rifle has a rifled bore. the term "rifled musket" is a oxymoron and only used since the name "rifle" was unfamiliar to the troops, so they simply mashed the name together.

blackdragon 01-17-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ofitg (Post 679412)
Blackdragon, about 15 years ago I bought a .54 flintlock Lyman Trade Rifle and a local gunsmith reamed it out to .62 smoothbore for me. He charged me $150. It was cheaper than buying a musket..... and I could buy another .54 rifled barrel if I ever wanted it.

well, this sounds interesting. that would make your "musket" a little bigger than 20 gauge. nice. I might look into this, thank you.

blackdragon 01-17-2012 02:32 AM

PS, I don't know how you delete posts on this site, so bear with the non-multi-quoted responses.

KAB 01-17-2012 02:57 AM

Multi posted unquoted responces

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdragon (Post 679448)
PS, I don't know how you delete posts on this site, so bear with the non-multi-quoted responses.

I will pressume you did not buy your Indian CARBINE Musket then if this thread is still going on ?
Or did you , and then send it back ?
Hopefull you will keep us posted when you find what you like .