Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > I need help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I need help!!

A friend gave me a black powder pistol that has 1 or 2 of the chambers that are loaded and the gun is starting to rust. How can I clean out the powder without firing the gun? The gun will also not advance the cylinder so I can only see the 1 chamber that has a live round in it. I would really like some help with this before I blow up my hand trying to fix it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2666 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Different things to try.

I would first put some oil in the nipple area in an attempt to neutralize the powder.

Some people have had luck with compressed air.
Some have replaced the nipple with a grease insert and pumped grease through.

either way, keep it pointed in a safe direction.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-26-2011, 02:50 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The black powder loonies I know generally use a thing called a worm, kind of a cross between a screw and a corkscrew from what I saw. They screw it into the ball and pull it out. By main strength the time I saw it, four guys latched onto a ramrod and yarded it out. Looked risky as heck. If I was doing it I'd figure a way to do it with a piece of all-thread, use a big washer and screw it out with a wrench. My opinion fwiw.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8449 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

First, find a product called KROIL. It is the Rolls Royce of penetrating oils. There is also a spray version called Aero Kroil. Freely coat metal parts (avoid the wood) let soak for a day. Bet you can take the revolver down now. Use a nipple wrench, back out the nipples. Insert a Zerk grease fitting, use grease gun, push bullet out. Repeat for any loaded charge. There IS an unloader used for rifles that uses a CO2 cartridge to push bullet out, don't know if it can reach the shrouded nipples on a revolver. I have used a screw bullet puller on rifles (worm is a different tool- it recovers patches that are in the bore) never tried on revolver.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #5

I would like to thank you all that responded to my thread. I took a syringe and injected oil into the gun powder threw the nipple (the needle I had was small enough the fit threw the little hole leading into the cylinder) and also injected oil all around the ball. I then used a drywall screw and screwed it into the lead and just pulled it out. I must also say that I was very nervous the entire time and it took me forever to get the screw into the ball. i did not want to go to fast.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2666 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Good job. One can never be careful enough around firearms.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Soooooooo, any pics of your new revolver?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #8

Obviously this has been resolved, but one trick I use when I'm out to sea and I need to show some greens how to safely disarm an older firearm such like that, I grab some vegetable oil from the galley and a bowl/pot/ect big enough to hold the gun. Place the firearm in the bowl, then cover with vegetable oil. Give it time to soak. The oil wets the powder. Navy rule number 1: wet powder is useless.

"I CAN'T SEE MY BALD HEAD IN THIS BULK HEAD, SAILOR! WHY IN THE HELL NOT? AM I NOT PRETTY ENOUGH FOR YOU TO SHINE IT SO I CAN SEE MY BALD HEAD?" ~Lt. Vincent Folvs~

"Let the Marines storm the bunker and get shot at. We'll just blow their asses up from 50 miles out to sea." ~Admiral Josh Chinres~

"If you hit your head on my ship, you'd better not get your blood on my deck, Sailor." ~Ensign Vincent Van Burq~