Howdy guys, quick question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Howdy guys, quick question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

argh! sorry, i'll stop spammin my own replies with this one... you guys have been most helpful here, and it is much appreciated. i'll mull this stuff over in the old noodle over the next few days and keep you gents posted. why the hell did i choose guns? shame there isn't a booming atlatl market...

Old 07-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsswills View Post
shame there isn't a booming atlatl market...
I always thought those were cool, but they don't sell them at walmart like the lil bows. Who knows, maybe they will start using them on the river carp instead of bowfishing them.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #13

Just remember, there will be a time when you cant make something work and you are going to get very frustrated and will want to take a week off or longer and eventualy loose hope.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." -George Mason
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #14

Quote:
I've got this idea to buy kits, build'em, then sell'em. is this a good idea? bad idea? worthwhile? waste of time? where does the wind come from?
well, anyways, i'm lookin for info about this whole thing before i go gettin too excited about it. ya see, i went through the gun school and need to get my ears wet, and this seems like the perfect (and most fun) way of doin it, so any advice, en- or dis- couragement, or even wisdom about such things would be most appreciated. thanks much fellas!

p.s. i ain't lookin to make rich doin this, only gain the experience and not go broke doin it, if that has any bearing at all on things
In my opinion (which is worth what I charge for it) it all depends on how much value you can add to the finished product. I suggest you look at TVM's web site (google Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading). They produce what most people call semi-custom rifles and sell them in the range of $1,000 - 2,000. If you could equal the quality of their work, you might make a profit. Of course, they do not start with a kit -- they buy locks and barrels, but make the stocks from scratch. Starting with a kit would, I suspect, raise your cost and lower the price you could expect.
That being said, if you can afford a high quality kit, and are confident in your skills, why not try it? The most you can lose is a little money and a lot of time.

In any case, good luck.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #15

hey guys! i know this is a really old post now but it seemed the natural place to get back into thing. i decided to buy just one kit for myself, traditions deerhunter .50, and wouldn't ya know the thing has me wanting to shoot it with a different gun. the stock came with too much wood missing out of the forend, what in god's name do i do about that?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #16
KAB

Default Dredging up the past

Quote:
hey guys! i know this is a really old post now but it seemed the natural place to get back into thing. i decided to buy just one kit for myself, traditions deerhunter .50, and wouldn't ya know the thing has me wanting to shoot it with a different gun. the stock came with too much wood missing out of the forend, what in god's name do i do about that?

Dredging up old posts , supposed to be a no no here by the way , but I understand why you did it .
I thought you said you went to school like I did ?
Obviously you can bed your barrel if its loose like your saying , but you should know that if you went to school .
Maybe your missing wood in the forearm somewhere else ?
Elaborate please .