Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > How to smooth out a barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I do not believe this to be accurate. But I'm just a farm boy.
I know the headmaster at my high school had two that he fired regularly (including on some civil war movie), but he may have had a license of some kind.

I don't remember anybody ever rolling his yard.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #12

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I do not believe this to be accurate. But I'm just a farm boy.
Ignorance is not a valid excuse. Educate yourselves gentlemen. Unless you would enjoy a visit from the alphabet agencies and a free vacation.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2150 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

Willfully,

Please correct me if I am wrong! But with the civil war reenactment groups around the country who fire cannons. The difference in the requirement of a license for a destructive device could be that they only shoot powder charges with out any projectiles? However it does require a lot of powder charge to get the effect! Not sure of the legal requirements for this but that would seem to be the case since there never seems to be an issue with this activity during the reenactments? Unless the owner of the canon has a license?
Some one can fill me in also on this issue! Since there are a lot of us here on the FTF to learn ourselves!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 10-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Folks- this is covered in the 1934 National Firearms Act. You can find it in 26 US Code, Section 53.

In a nutshell- a muzzle loading cannon is NOT a destructive device. It CAN fire shot. It cannot legally fire shell. Shot is a solid projectile. Shell is a hollow projectile with a bursting charge. THAT projectile is a destructive device, the muzzle loading cannon is not.

A 75mm howitzer IS a destructive device- breech loader, larger than 1/2 inch bore, no sporting purpose. A 6 pounder Napoleon smoothbore, muzzleloading cannon is not- uses loose powder and ball. A Civil War vintage Parrot rifled cannon is not a DD- muzzle loader. HOWEVER- the Parrot Gun fired an explosive shell. The shell IS a DD.

A number of folks legally build and shoot bowling ball mortars, using a welding size oxygen tank as the tube. These are muzzle loaders, and can lob a bowling ball damned near a mile. Not a DD. If that were an explosive filled shell instead of a bowling ball, that would be different matter.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 10-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #15

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

OK, I knew that. I was just foolin' around. I have a couple cannons and shoot often. I have made several for friends also. But hey, I am just a farm boy.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

orangello Likes This 
Old 10-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #16

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Thanks, y'all for the good info. I'll order a cylinder hone soon. I'll also get some abrasives.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 11-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

It's only illegal to build and fire breech loading cannons. Some of the guys around here have been building cannons that shoot golf balls.

Bobg

Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #18

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

How about the annual cannon target match -- I think NSSA does one but that's not the one I'm thinking of....

Old 12-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #19

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

So your barrel is open on both ends? Take it down to someone that has a bead blaster, and blow beads through it for a couple minutes, that will remove all the crud and polish the inside slick. I do that on old cruddy shot gun barrels to clean them up.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Rifling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
So your barrel is open on both ends? Take it down to someone that has a bead blaster, and blow beads through it for a couple minutes, that will remove all the crud and polish the inside slick. I do that on old cruddy shot gun barrels to clean them up.
What sort of beads? I would go with one of the aggressive bore cleaning pastes before resorting to bead blasting. Used with a brush no part of the grooves would be missed.