how long can you leave a revolver loaded - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > how long can you leave a revolver loaded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbfrank View Post
Bearwallow Creek, and the County of Transylvania (Through the Woods)

LOL!
After reading "Transylvania" I thought you were kidding me

Sounds like a nice area even though the furriners are muddying things up.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 AM   #22

Couldn't agree more with you frank, about the era statement. But you know what gets me? A felon can own and shoot and handle and tote a BP firearm. This is BS. Of course I forgot that a BP gun cant kill anyone cause the shield that deflects only BP projectiles. And that a BP cant hold enough rounds to kill many people, and that you cant carry multiple guns. Dont get me wrong, I like the fact I can go buy a BP w/out all the BS. But the gun rules are messed up somewhere...

Old 07-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josey Wales '94 View Post
Couldn't agree more with you frank, about the era statement. But you know what gets me? A felon can own and shoot and handle and tote a BP firearm. This is BS. Of course I forgot that a BP gun cant kill anyone cause the shield that deflects only BP projectiles. And that a BP cant hold enough rounds to kill many people, and that you cant carry multiple guns. Dont get me wrong, I like the fact I can go buy a BP w/out all the BS. But the gun rules are messed up somewhere...
Actually, a felon who is prevented by law from owning a firearm CANNOT own a BP firearm either.

BP firearms are exempted from the requirements for the federal paperwork and criminal background check required for purchase of "modern" firearms, and you can order a BP firearm on-line with delivery straight to your house by UPS.

BUT.....a firearm is a firearm, and just because a felon could purchase one, does NOT mean that he would not be arrested and convicted if he was found in possession of one.

TXnorton

Old 08-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #24

How long? They have dug up shells from the Revolutionary war, and the powder was STILL Good
The Navy had to come out with a handbook years ago on defusing Civil war shells. Apparently a Navy base that had been there since before the civil war still had ordnance laying about in the surrounding area and some souvenier hunters found out the HARD WAY that it was still live. Black powder is a mechanical mixture, NOT a chemical one like smokeless powder.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #25

I've a couple here at the house that stay loaded all the time. Never have had any problems.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #26

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default A long time

I have an 1858 pietta that I shoot every now & then. I keep a cylinder loaded with a silica pellet under each bullet. I've left one cylinder loaded for over a year & all six chambers fired without any noticeable lack of power.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #27

Default black p-owder shelf life from guns magazine excerpt

Standard black powder, kept dry, has an amazingly long shelf life. Guns found loaded after a hundred years have proved, sometimes to the shooter’s chagrin, capable of firing. This is not true of some black powder substitutes.

In 2008, Sam White's hobby cost him his life: A cannonball he was restoring exploded, killing him in his driveway.

More than 140 years after Lee surrendered to Grant, the cannonball was still powerful enough to send a chunk of shrapnel through the front porch of a house a quarter-mile from White's home in the leafy Richmond suburb of Chester, Virginia.

Last edited by cauterizer; 01-07-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #28

Liked 86 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Bummer Sam!

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 01-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My grandma left an old revolver loaded for over 25 years. Four out of six rounds where duds but really no damage to the cylinder.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #30

Decades for sure, probably several lifetimes if kept dry and good caps and good blackpowder are used.