how long can you leave a revolver loaded - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > how long can you leave a revolver loaded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had a Ruger old army that went a year in Southern California (Very dry) with no special preparations other than a good cleaning before loading and storage.

It was also the most accurate gun I ever shot once the smoke cleared!
The reason I sold it was the constant thought of the deep internal nooks and cranny's where I could not easily clean it.

And I always kept my cap-lock Derringer loaded forever as well firing it every spring when we went out shooting just to be sure it would fire.
It only hang fired once for a bad cap!
I also had to replace the nipple as the cap must have gotten some moisture on it before loading it into the ammo can I stored it in.

I think the key is to have it squeaky clean, load it under low humidity conditions and be sure the bullet and cap are protected from letting moisture seep in past them.

Like the guy above mentioned, a good grease that will not dry out on the ball patch (or like my old army revolver packed in after the bullet was pressed in) and some wax at the lower edge of the primer (not inside where the fulminate is) will do wonders to keep things dry for a long time.

If it were in a high humidity place, a water tight gallon sized Zip-lock bag with a desiccate packet in there as well for good measure should do the trick.

OH! How about one of those vacuum sealers?

Last edited by archangel2003; 06-04-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #12

I've had mixed luck with leaving BP revolvers loaded for lengthy periods of time -- mostly my own fault when the luck went south. Humidity is the main factor. If you are very, very careful, and go to the trouble of waxing the nipple threads to seal out moisture, and then use a bit of grease to seal where the cap rim meets the nipple (don't get it inside the cap, though), and then if you seal the business end well, a load can be good for years. I have one of those Italian faux buffalo revolvers that was stored loaded in a fairly humid climate for over three years, and when I finally remembered I owned the thing, I hauled it oustide and all six chambers fired without a hitch.

If you're lazy, as I've been a couple of times in the past, you're safer keeping a big rock in the nightstand, or a baseball bat under your pillow. With proper loading and sealing, though, a blackpowder revolver is as dependable as anything modern, and a load is good for a long, long time.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #13

Oh, heck, I was replying to the OP. As I now read the rest of the replies, I see most of my ultra-wise advice was already offered by others. Okay, I'm an old guy. Get used to this kind of thing, okay?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #14

I had two cylinders loaded for my 1858 Remington for around 19 months. I live in the second wettest place in the CONUS. One place near Seattle gets more rain than we do here. I tote the thing almost every where I go, and I get out in the rain a good bit. I do wear a duster when it's raining, but I took no precautions when I loaded the cylinders. I do use the #10 caps instead of the #11's. They are made to fit the pistol nipples more snugly. I shot it a few weeks ago at a friends range. All 12 shots fired, and my friend was very impressed with how well this old thing shoots at 25 yards. I had about a 3 1/4" group with 12 shots. I did let the smoke clear a little between shots.

I cleaned her up good when I got home, and loaded up both cylinders again. The reason I tote it so much is (1) Federal and state laws here don't even consider BP arms to be firearms, and (2) I wouldn't hesitate to use it for self-defense. You can buy a replica (mine has the 5 1/2" barrel) from Cabelas right now for $200, and there is no paperwork, FFL, background check...nothing. They just ship it to your door in about 3 days. What's not to like?

Frank

Old 06-05-2010, 01:28 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbfrank View Post
I live in the second wettest place in the CONUS. One place near Seattle gets more rain than we do here.
And!

Quote:
The reason I tote it so much is (1) Federal and state laws here don't even consider BP arms to be firearms, and (2) I wouldn't hesitate to use it for self-defense. You can buy a replica (mine has the 5 1/2" barrel) from Cabelas right now for $200, and there is no paperwork, FFL, background check...nothing. They just ship it to your door in about 3 days. What's not to like?

Frank
One more time!!!!

Quote:
Federal and state laws here don't even consider Black Powder arms to be firearms
DAMN Frank!
Where do you live?
Hurry while I pack my bags!

DAMN!
In this state they consider a bow and arrow and an air powered BB/pellet gun a fire arm!
Both are regulated the same as a 357 magnum!

That Stainless Steel target pistol from Cabelas looks sweet!
I wonder how fast you can swap out that cylinder?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0035950&navCount=8&parentId=cat604984&m asterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=catfeatsr&parent Type=index&indexId=cat604984&rid=

And this 20 gauge or 58 cal double barreled Peace Keeper pistol!
Looks perfect for home defense first response before raising up the 1911 in your other hand!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20817&rid=&indexId=cat20817&navAction=push&mast erpathid=&navCount=25&parentType=index&parentId=ca t20817&id=0058399

Last edited by archangel2003; 06-05-2010 at 01:51 AM.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

AW COM ON FRANK!

Let us know what part of this big blue/green earth a little slice of heaven still resides in!!!!!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #17

My 1858 new Army REM would last about a week
Then It would lose power

When outnumbered 2 to 1.
Shoot twice!

Gopher

Old 06-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #18

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
My 1858 new Army REM would last about a week
Then It would lose power
Most likely too much lube.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #19

It really does depend on #1 luck and #2 humidity. If you ever catch wild west tech on history channel in 1 episode they talked about how wild bill would reload his pistols religiously every day.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 AM   #20

Sorry Angel...been covered up the last few days. I reside in the western corner of North Carolina where South Carolina and Georgia meet. Sapphire, NC, to be exact. The community is Sapphire-Whitewater, and my hood is called Bearwallow. I live right on Bearwallow Creek, and the County of Transylvania (Through the Woods). It's also known as the Land of Waterfalls. It's a rainforest for sure, but there is no area in the world with a more diverse and varied flora and fauna. Many rare species of plants live here, and some are found nowhere else on the planet. I have 6 acres located 9 miles south of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and also a home about 9 miles north of the SC state line. It is a motorcyclist paradise this time of year. It was truly paradise 40 years ago, but alas, many "furriners" discovered it and many have built luxury homes all over the ridges. Outsiders have taken over county govt, and taxes are getting ridiculous. I have built many a house in years past without the need for any permits, as we had no inspections dept. Now, it cost a bundle just in fees to do much of anything. So, I do rejoice in the fact that I can click my mouse and 3 or 4 days later, receive a new hogleg vis UPS.

I am seriously thinking of moving out west...maybe Montana, as I like the gun laws there, and it is a common site to see folk openly carrying. I open carry myself here many times. It's legal, and it makes a statement and help educate the younger guys on the force as to the laws on the books.

I was born 100 years too late, I think. I certainly don't like seeing our country go down like it has since 1865.