How did cowboys & outlaws keep their guns clean? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > How did cowboys & outlaws keep their guns clean?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 01:02 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
Wasent smokeless powder invented in the 1890's?
Nitrocellulose was introduced as a propellant in 1884 but it wasn't until the turn of the century that it was widely used.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 11-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

CLP and my musket with Pyrodex have gotten along fine for years.

I do use TC Bore Butter also.

All this happens after a good cleaning with very hot & soapy water of course.

Be Well.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, HOT soapy water for the major cleaning. Rinse with HOT water, dry thoroughly. Then lubricate. Some say reclean the next day. This has worked with all my BP weapons. I also got some BP liquid cleaner which is used as one would use any other bore cleaner- neutralises, removes the salts. Use of HOT water helps clean the bore and dries quickly by evaporation. I have used this technique for years and also use modern gun oil to prevent rust from the water.
YMMV- but works for the several revolvers and BP rifles and shotguns Ive used over the years.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #24
KAB

I never use water on my Black Powder guns to clean them . Metal and water dont mix .
The first time I got a cheap Pietta Navy I cleaned it with hot soapy water , as it dried in a matter of seconds , every nook and cranny rusted before my eyes . NOT GOOD !
After that I use commercial BP cleaner and lots of patches and a toothbrush to remove any residue . Then I oil everything up and spray the entire gun down with spray Sillycone . I have never had a rusted gun in over 25 years now doing this . Water is Ole Skool , and some Ole Skool things have gone to the wayside for a good reason .
We dont season our BP guns anymore either , because the materials used now are not Iron and they wont season anywayz . Water is the same thing , there are much better ways to clean a BP gun now . Just my not so humble opinion is all this is , but it works .
Oil and water dont mix , and neither does water and steel .

Old 01-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Once Hopalong Cassidy came along and became famous, they used his stuff.

Hoppy's

Old 01-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldarbeast View Post
Hot water to clean and bacon grease (or bear, buffalo) to oil it up.

eldarbeast
I know you're just kidding, but I actually know a crackhead that oiled two brand new Colts with wesson oil.... and who knows how long he left them that way, but when he brought them in to sell, I bought both of them at a crack needed bargian. Now get this....these two guns had never even been fired and they were still in the boxs. Neither one would fire. It took forever to clean these guns where they would shoot.
Now back to your question, back in the old western days, those dudes depended on guns for food and protection. I can guarantee you those dudes took better care of their gun than a lot of us do today. I'd say the mercantiles had everthing they needed.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #27

I'm betting we'd be surprised at what got used. I know if I were out in the middle of nowhere and was out of cleaning supplies...anything would get used to get that blackpowder fouling out of my rifle/revolver...urine comes to mind. Would keep one going til proper items could be had I'm betting.