How can I improve the accuracy of my 1858? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > How can I improve the accuracy of my 1858?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Pietta likes lubed wads rather than lube over ball, Pyrodex rather than Geox or Swiss BP. It will shoot one ragged hole at 25 yards, however, point of aim is not even close to point of impact. Don't remember the load off the top o' my head, but it's in the 25 gr range. The next one will be a Uberti, due to the dovetail front sight.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #12

The '58 Remington clones are some of the best shooting models because of the solid top strap. First, make sure your bore is bright clean between shooting sessions. For reference, I use 18 grains of FFFg under an equal amount (by volume) of cream of wheat with a 0.457" pure lead round ball that seats about 0.030" below flush with the cylinder face and then smear a thin layer of Crisco (or similar) on top of the ball. The Crisco lubes the bore and prevents cross ignition between chambers (an ugly thing). Mine will easily shoot 10 shot groups under 2" at 25 yards (much better than I can hold it these days). I hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #13

Great question. Ditto on much of what was said here. I've learned some of it the hard way!
I have two 1858s made by Pietta, and a couple Navy revolvers (also made by Pietta). I use Pyrodex pellets (because I've become too lazy to measure real black powder!), which are 30 gr. equivalent to FFFg. I place a wad on top of the pellets and a .454 ball on top of that. I then place a liberal amount of Bore Butter on each cylinder. I actually experienced a chain fire once using wads with no Bore Butter. Kind of scary. Didn't hurt anyone or my gun (much), but scared the bejeezus out of me enough to be a tad over cautious from then on...
These things are fun to shoot! I really can't speak to your accuracy problem except to agree with others that your powder load is perhaps a bit low. And herein lies what I found odd from the start: The Pietta manual (on p. 10, if they are still printing the same one I've had for years) says the cylinder capacity is 12-15 gr. of FFFg and recommends a .454" round ball. BUT the Cabela's manual, which also came with at least one of my pistols, sets the cylinder capacity at 35 gr. of FFFg black powder OR 28 gr. of Pyrodex with a .451" round ball. So go figure, since that's a decent amount of difference between the two manuals... I've shot my 1858s with the "max" listed by Cabela's with no problem, and the accuracy is not bad (although I couldn't give you a measurement off the top of my head, as it's been a while since I shot it at paper that I could measure).
Best of luck to ya! Hope you remedy your accuracy issue.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #14

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

.44 Colt or Remington. 30 grs. of Pyrodex, .454 ball, lubed wad or over ball lube(either one but not both). Coke cans at 25 yds. no problem.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #15

Hawg said 30 grs of fffg is what to use.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #16

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtsmoke View Post
Hawg said 30 grs of fffg is what to use.
It's what I use. He may find another load better suited for him. You can't overload a steel frame revolver with bp or Pyrodex. As long as you can seat the ball far enough to turn the cylinder you're ok.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #17

ive wanted to say the same thing about overloading a 58 but have hesitated to do so. We buy things today that we like but dont take time to do a little research to become educated about it. I detest those pellets I guess being raised on blackpowder and round balls will do that to you. i still shoot round ball rifles and smoothbore flintlocks I just can't see myself with one of those plastic stocked inlines with a scope on it. imho

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee