Home made muzzle loader??? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Home made muzzle loader???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 02:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have considered making something myself, BUT as said, safety would have to be the Number one concern. I put together a black powder kit and it worked well and also very rewarding. Now a good many years ago when i was young and stupid, I was around to put together a makeshift gun from a car antenna...

Old 06-05-2010, 02:52 AM   #12

Guess we've all done dumb things as kids. It's amazing any of us survived before the days of seatbelts, carseats, kneepads and bike helmets, eh?

About homebuilt firearms, I think anyone with decent mechanical skills and a fair amount of experience with metal working could build a safe one, assuming he did a bit of research, and exercised common sense. I still wouldn't consider using a chunk of black pipe for a barrel, though.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

The pressures created by black powder (not smokeless) and a light grain projectile are not that great. 30-50 grains of Pyrodex and a 100 grain bullet will not create much pressure, especially if the bullet is not patched or saboted. The inline muzzleloaders using 150 grains of powder and a 300 grain saboted bullet creates some significant pressures, and I would not trust some gas piping to handle that.

Hawg has a great question, are you sure it was not a hair spray spud gun? Or maybe even a dry ice gun?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-05-2010, 04:51 AM   #14

Just to clarify ... when I saw this thread my first thought was that I didn't want to see someone hurt himself.

I'm reminded of a situation that occured when I lived in southwest Idaho. Two young fellows were drinking, and they had a flack jacket, or Kevlar vest, and they leaned it against a gravel bar and fired a few shots into it to see if it really worked. It did. Then, one of them put the vest on and dared his buddy to shoot. He did. The result wasn't pretty for either of those dumb kids. Anyway, I think building a gun based on a piece of gas pipe is nearly as dumb.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It was not a "spud gun" but a real firearm (if you can even call it that) used for (I assume) hunting small things up close like quail and what not.
I looked for the magazine but could not find it.

It was one of those Survival / back woodsman type of magazines that offer info on making your own knives, bows and arrows, fish traps and what not.

There was a disclaimer that said the article was the view of the author and not something the magazine was suggesting you do.

The only way I would make one is if they offered a kit for something like this listed below.

Cabela's -- Davide Pedersoli Howdah Pistol

I also like this Stainless revolver as well.

Cabela's -- 1858 New Army Stainless Steel .44 Caliber Target Model and Starter Kit

Old 06-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #16

Question for metal smart folks, I put together a kit that used brass for the barrel, it was I believe 31 cal. derringer type pistol nice gun fired it several times and it worked well before I traded it. How does the brass compare to the metal in store bought pipes?

Old 06-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #17

I'd trust a brass barrel before I'd trust a chunk of pipe. The pipe is probably from China, and consists of melted Fords, soup cans and other miscellaneous unassayed material.

I think the pressure rating for one-inch schedule 40 steel pipe is something like 2,800 PSI, a far cry from the PSI you might have in a black powder firing chamber.

Oh, and for God's sake, I hope nobody here confuses black pipe with schedule 40 or 80 PVC.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:04 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I almost forgot that I also had one of those brass (double barreled and both barrels bored out of a single block of brass) 36 caliber derringers.

I fired it a couple times but being a smooth bore the accuracy and the overall quality were lacking so I lost interest.

I did build a standard 45 caliber derringer from a kit.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8724 Times on 3774 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

I built a .75 caliber brass CANNON as a present for a friend. Lathe turned and bored. And while it is mainly for saluting, I DID proof test that one. Double load of ffG powder, and a 12 g slug. 4 shots, no change in dimensions. But THAT puppy had thick walls at the chamber, and thick barrel walls.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess a massive enough piece of metal with a hole bored in it would work reasonably well as a smooth bore or shotgun.

Anyone know where the dimensions of the inner bore of the barrel of a muzzle-loading shot gun could be found?

I never handled much less used a muzzle loaded shot gun.