Home made muzzle loader???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Home made muzzle loader???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Home made muzzle loader???

I once saw an article in a magazine that showed a guy that used some schedule 40 pipe and made his own muzzle loader.

Although the article was interesting, I don't know if I could make my self stand anywhere near one being shot!

Any thoughts on that?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #2

Schedule 40 sounds like a nice way to make a pipe bomb, not a firearm. Among other things in life, I've been a welder/fabricator and a blacksmith, and I've made a few barrels for my own use. Use ordinance steel or 416 stainless (and drill it slow and cold), or even wrap a barrel using wrought iron if you think your forge welds will hold, but not pipe. Better yet, buy the barrel and machine the other parts yourself -- I hear losing eyes and hands and arms isn't fun.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Perhaps it was schedule 80 pipe.

Either way, I'll look for the magazine and article here and see if I can find an on line reference to it.

I believe they were making a single barrel shot gun out of it.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why, when you can buy the kits and build something to be proud of?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #5

Whether 40 or 80, make certain it's not Chinese pipe. Yes, I guess I'd feel safe enough dropping maybe 12 grains down a 3/4" pipe and lighting it off, but I wouldn't consider it a practical firearm, nor would I want to repeat the process more than a very few times with the same piece of pipe.

My greatest concern (besides the poor quaility of the metal) would be the fact that the entire length of the barrel wall is of the same thickness. Take a look at any standard single shot shotgun barrel -- there's far more beef, and for good reason, at the breech end, where the highest pressures develop upon ignition.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #6

Not to steal this thread, but a while back I had an opportunity to play with a Philippine guerrilla shotgun, it is basically a large rough cut piece of wood with two pipes of some black steel don't know exactly but it looked like water pipe, anyway one pipe fits inside the other you take the smaller barrel and install a shot shell in it and just ram it back into the other and it works, scary but it did work. Any body know the specs on that things steel?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #7

ALSGUN, that sounds like one of the slamfire guns made for the Filipino resistance during the Second World War. My uneducated guess is that the steel isn't high quality. Those weapons were made to last just long enough to kill an enemy soldier so you could borrow his weapon. Interesting what folks will come up with in a pinch, isn't it?

Old 06-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've seen a few home brew weapons made. I wouldn't want to trust any piece of pipe. AS stated earlier there h ave been some slam fire shotty's made but those are never made to use more than maybe once. And that didn't always end well for the user.

If you're wanting to make something like this there are better grades of steel to get. Ordinance steel can be had or at the least get something that you will put the bore in yourself (Also posted previously). I've seen some pretty nice hand made Kentucky rifles. Some with a semblance of rifling to help them reach out a little better.

I can really understand why someone would want to do something like this from scratch rather than from a kit. Bbut if you want the thing to actually work then you have to be able to make the thing safe. And I don't think there a piece of pipe out there that would put me at ease as a firearms chamber & barrel.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #9

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Are you sure it wasn't a spud gun fired off by hair spray?

Old 06-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I've seen a few home brew weapons made. I wouldn't want to trust any piece of pipe. AS stated earlier there h ave been some slam fire shotty's made but those are never made to use more than maybe once. And that didn't always end well for the user.

If you're wanting to make something like this there are better grades of steel to get. Ordinance steel can be had or at the least get something that you will put the bore in yourself (Also posted previously). I've seen some pretty nice hand made Kentucky rifles. Some with a semblance of rifling to help them reach out a little better.

I can really understand why someone would want to do something like this from scratch rather than from a kit. Bbut if you want the thing to actually work then you have to be able to make the thing safe. And I don't think there a piece of pipe out there that would put me at ease as a firearms chamber & barrel.

You said what I meant to say, but you said it better.

This is essentially one of those "Yes, it can be done, but don't try this at home, kids" situations. I mean, there have been times in history when cannons with wooden barrels have been used in war, but who in his right mind would want to be the one to touch a spark to the fuse on one of those things? Not me.