Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Hi im new here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hi im new here

And i got a few questions i got a old musket looks to be about 1850's or so its got a name on the barrel that says bubans dacier. What i need help with is determining when this gun was made hasnt been shot off in over 50 years im sure. I got some pictures

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2008, 01:05 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8604 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Welcome! First, that is not a musket, but a double barreled muzzleloading shotgun. The term acier (or d'acier) is French for steel. Do not think that is the MAKE of your gun, but the composition of the barrels (Twist steel) The barrels appear to be Damascus, or "twist" steel- which was pretty good for black powder- when they were made- about 150 yrs ago. From the rust showing in the pictures, I would not shoot this with ANYTHING- black or nitro. Damascus barrels did not age well, especially when exposed to corrosive effects of black powder. IF you can remove the forearm, you may find some markings there that would give a clue- makers name, or proof marks. You might also run a google search for images of French shotguns, such as the Darne, and see if anything matches up. BTW, if you can find a product called KROIL, it is the best penetrating oil I have ever seen- can actually get under rust and loosen it without scrubbing that will kill collector value. Not cheap, works incredible well.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:51 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome here. Whatever you do, don't try to shoot that thing! Have fun.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-21-2008, 03:20 AM   #4
cbw

Welcome, Hey there is a frog on your clock sneaking up on your Gun!

Old 12-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #5

Wow it looks like you've got a great restoration project in the making. If i were you i would find out how to properly restore this piece. It looks really interesting and i bet it has a lot of history behind it. Good luck. Also, if you don't plan on restoring it, i would gladly pay to take it off your hands for you

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage

Old 12-24-2008, 04:59 AM   #6

Its not my gun its my dads he has a bunch of older interesting guns like that one that i dont know much about. Wouldnt it be worth more if you kept it original? even to a collector?.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #7

Liked 76 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Nothing wrong with cleaning it up or shooting it if it's in good enough shape. I've got an 1840ish Ancion that's a shooter.