Help in Identifing - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Help in Identifing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 07:12 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

very lovely pistol

"You have to fire once you hold your gun, or else don't bother lifting it up"

Old 03-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #32

Default Update

This is the big weekend for the Baltimore Gun Show. ThankS for the help. I got in touch with some one from the last web site you sent me and they suggested the show, Gave me a name and the booth where this guy will be. I will Post on Monday what we find out.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #33

Default Update

Well we took the 1 1/2 hour trip to BAltimore. All parties that we asked said it is a repro. But I question the "professional" Opinions. One Guy said " it didn't feel real". Another said the serial numbers were at the wrong spot( even though coming home and looking at what I have found they are correct spots. Another said it is Italian just by looking at it. My questions is this, If the gun is 150 years old, and there were only 3600 - 3700 built in total how do all these guys become experts. One web site I found said the only way to tell for sure is to compare it to one that is known to be original. I guess what I am saying is that it could very well be a repro. but I have a hard time takin g the word of guys who only looked at it maybe one minute each. The other thing I find questionable is no two of them used the same reason for it to be a repro. and didn't even mention what the other had said. They all seemed to get anoid when I questioned why they thought it was not real. I will continue my search untill someone can tell me for sure. The best anyone did was to say he was 95% sure but not without taking it apart. Conveinently he didn't have his tools. These guns were hand built 150 yrs ago and when reading some web sites they use the phrases like "it could and not all" If anyone knows were i should take this search please let me know. People, books, anything

Thank you

Old 03-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #34

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just a thought but why not call the people at the Gettesburg battlefield and see what experts they use with their pieces.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:35 AM   #35

Great Idea I have to start somewhere. I did send pictures to one guy in Gettsburg and all he siad was repro with no explaination. so I will have to become an "expert" myself.