Help in Identifing - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket >

Help in Identifing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

From what I have found so far this is an authentic Griswold and Gunnison. It matches all descriptions of their revolvers. The A stamped on the front of the trigger guard may indicate this was made by Arvin N. Gunnison, the number 26 in front of the trigger is cryptic and is unknown as of right now what it applies to, (but I am still looking)

This particular pistol may have a name of the owner, searching all names of the 5th Georgia Calvary, if have found the matched initials of R.A. on the hand grip to the names of,

Captain Richard F Aikin
Private Robert Allen
A possible gift from one General R.H. Anderson to his brother Clifford W. Anderson of the 5th Georgia Calvary

I am sure this is not a reproduction though its history I will attempt to find out more on. So hang on to it.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #12

A small but maybe important update here, it would seem that a Colonel R.H. Anderson was asseigned to the 5th Georgia Calvary and later was commissioned Brigadier General. So this hand gun may of belonged to him personally.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #13

From July 1862 until the end of the civil War Griswold and Gunnison produced these revolvers, their serial numbers went up to 3,700 based on the known revolvers made by them between 1862 and 1864.

This is a brass-framed copy of the 1851 Colt Navy, in .36 cal. There were 2 different models made one with a round top to the barrel lug, and one with an octagon top.

The Serial numbers are stamped with individual digits larger then on other guns of the Confederate. The serial numbers will be found on the right or left side of the frame and barrel lug, on the cylinder, and some times in front of the trigger guard as the one you have.

The A on the left side of the trigger guard sometimes was a Y but is unknown as to its real meaning, as is the 2 digit number 26 on the one you have.

I cannot find out yet if this is one was actually owned by R.H. Anderson but it would fit the bill, as one an officer would have with custom handgrips with his initials in them.

Who ever this belonged to, the one thing you can be sure of and that it is not a reproduction.

opaww

Old 02-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #14

Thanks, I have been spending countless hours searching the 5th Calvery and There is very few people that fit the intitals. Thanks again for the help. It is my fathers gun, he has collected guns all his life , I have no idea where he found this one but what it was was a puzzle to him. Hopefully this info will fill in some blanks. Thanks again

Old 02-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This is great stuff and very exciting.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.Samuel Adams

Old 02-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #16

This pistol is a lead into history sense it takes you all over the place to read some of the Civil War history.

I am kind of hoping you will think it is just some reproduction and let me buy it from you for $100 U.S. + shipping.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #17

OPAWW if half of what you have found and in combination of what I found is true I Bet you would like it for $100.00 The civil war history is where I feel I must continue the search. Way out of my my expertise. Being a yankee and all. As we know the more history that goes with a peice the more valuable it becomes. Once again I thank you for all your time in researching this peice. It gives me a real good base to continue the search. If my father decides to sell , you will be the first to know.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Interesting. This thread has swung from "it's a reproduction--I'm sure"
to "Just MAYBE it MIGHT be a real Griswold and Gunnison" to "It's
a real one--no doubt". Personally I'm pulling for it being real, and if
it is I'm just astounded by the condition. The 5th Georgia saw a lot
of action--usually these guns show some pitting from black powder and
battlefield conditions. What a beautiful piece of history if it's real.

Peevee--try sending your pictures etc. to these folks.

Civil War Antiques Preservation Society - Civil War Antique Appraisers,Authenticators,and Buyers

Not sure if Jim Supica is still doing any appraisal work since he became
director of the National Firearms Museum, but he would be another
that could tell if it is authentic.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Man, I love this. Peevee please keep us in the loop.

Thank you and kudos to the knowledgeable and generous men of this community who offered their expertise.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.Samuel Adams

Old 02-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by peevee60 View Post
OPAWW if half of what you have found and in combination of what I found is true I Bet you would like it for $100.00 The civil war history is where I feel I must continue the search. Way out of my my expertise. Being a yankee and all. As we know the more history that goes with a peice the more valuable it becomes. Once again I thank you for all your time in researching this peice. It gives me a real good base to continue the search. If my father decides to sell , you will be the first to know.
OK...OK $125 and I pay the shipping...Just kidding, But I think you need to get some real experts on it because though I feel it is the real thingy I cannot tell you the history of it. Along with an expert will be able to give you some area of value. Just remember I am not an expert by far and may be giving you some wrong information.