Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Help in Identifing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/help-identifing-22696/)

peevee60 01-27-2010 10:34 PM

Help in Identifing

5 Attachment(s)
I have a civil war revolver. The best I can come up with is a Colt 1848 3rd sreies.The serial # 2876 is stamped everywhere and it is stamped with the words " 5th Georgia Cavalry" on the side. Any Help would help.

MUZZLESMOKE 01-30-2010 03:58 AM

I don't know who made it. But it is a reproduction, made in Italy or Spain back in the 60s. It is nice and I would sure like to have it if you want to sell it. Or trade for black powder pistol or revolver, and some cash. Let me know and I'm going to see if I can find out more about it. If I do I'll let you know.
Thanks and let me know please. Where did you find it?

canebrake 01-30-2010 04:52 AM

Outstanding revolver! Wish I could help but all I could do is drool on the thing.

I'm sure someone will be along to help in this mystery.

canebrake 01-30-2010 04:54 AM

Oh yea, Hop over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about you.

BillM 01-30-2010 02:49 PM

10 minutes ago I would have agreed with Muzzlesmoke and said REPLICA. Now I'm
not so sure. Figured the stamped numbers/letters were just screaming replica,
but then I found this.

Look HERE: THE GRISWOLD & GUNNISON REVOLVER

It's just barely possible that it is indeed an original Griswold and Gunnison 1862 revolver.

Does it have any makers name on it anywhere? Pietta, Armi San Marco--anything?
Does it have any proof marks on it anywhere? Bottom of the barrel? Cylinder?

If not---don't do ANYTHING to it. Don't clean it, don't polish it, nothing more than
wiping it down with a bit of oil on a rag.

There are probably more replica Griswolds out there than real ones, but if you do
happen to have a real Griswold and Gunnison, and especially if you can prove the
5th Georgia Cavalry connection, it has some real value.

MUZZLESMOKE 01-30-2010 07:48 PM

Revolver

1 Attachment(s)
Bill I believe that you are right. But. it doesn't look to be 160 years old. That could mean that who every owned. Kept oiled and cleaned up over the years. That is or maybe an orginal revolver. In which case it would be worth a lot of money. I would love to have it. But can't afford it. It would go great with my 1857 Tower 3 band Enfield. Pevee if you are into black powder you should keep. You should even if you are not.
Not so good at posting pictures. If I can I'll post my Tower..........which I will never sell.Attachment 10081

peevee60 01-30-2010 08:15 PM

Thanks Guys mI will follow up on your segestions. I live in Pa. I have taken it to a local gun shop who couldn't do much. He has sugested I take it to a shop in Gettysburg, Pa who specialize in civil war guns (about an hour away) If that doesn't work he also suggested the Baltimore Gun Show in March. I will keep you posted. Thanks again. Half the fun of owning it is tracking down what it is.

CA357 01-30-2010 08:17 PM

Good luck with your research and please let us know what you find. :cool:

BillM 01-30-2010 11:06 PM

[QUOTE=MUZZLESMOKE;221496]Bill I believe that you are right. But. it doesn't look to be 160 years old. QUOTE]

I agree---no way does it look to be that old. It is probably a reproduction,
maybe one that has had the makers marks and Italian proofs removed and
has been artifically aged to look older. More than likely it's not more than
30 or 40 years old.

BUT

I'll be darned if I can find any reproductions that come this close to an
original. Most are just brass framed navies.
There were quite a few variations in original Griswold and Gunnisons.
The numbers stamped on it are in the right range.
It could be---just MAYBE---an original. Lovingly kept in near perfect
condition by generations of the decendents of a 5th Georgia trooper.
Stranger things have happened.

MUZZLESMOKE 01-31-2010 04:18 AM

Peevee, If you do want to sell, I collect reproduction revolver and pistols.
Or we could maybe make a trade. Let me know what you want to do. If you want I can sed you some pictures.
Thanks