Has Anyone Hunted With a Cap and Ball Revolver? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Has Anyone Hunted With a Cap and Ball Revolver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Back in the late 70's

One of the writers of , I think it was Guns and Ammo did a write up on the repro of a 1860 Colt , a Navy Arms gun , and he did use it to hunt Deer , successfully
Besides whatever State Law might say about what you can hunt with or not , the .44 cap and ball has plenty of power to kill deer . If it can drop a 400 Lb. Burley Logger in his tracks , then deer are a non-issue here . The Walker or Dragoon is a better choice than the 1860 Model , and try to remember the Walker was the Hand Cannon of all times till the mighty .44 Magnum came along . It reigned supreme many years before that .44 Magnum though and can fire a 60 grain musket size charge in her . The Dragoon at 50 grain , these guns are no slouches . Even an 1858 Remington with near 40 grains will knock your pee pee in the dirt Our Westcoast Black-Tail dont get that big , and its been done , along with more small game than I can count While there may be better guns to hunt deer with , they are certainly capable as long as the hunter does his job right with range and shot placement . Lack of power is not the issue . A beaurocracy that makes game laws up as they see fit obviously have NEVER shot a Walker !
I have Nuff said ...

Last edited by Kelly-A; 01-06-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #12

Default Debate is over

I just pulled this Data from a reliable source , DEBATE IS OVER

With a longer barrel, the Walker should attain somewhat higher velocity than with the following load:

Cap and Ball Ballistics
By Ed Sanow
Handguns February 1998
Cap and Ball Wound Ballistics

Calibre: .44 Walker
Firearm: 1847 Walker
Bullet: 141gr RB
FFFg: 60gr
Velocity: 1287 fps
Energy: 519 ft lb
1 Shot Stop: 87%

Put that in your pipe and smoke it !

Old 01-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #13

I use a Remington 58 with a RB for much of my whitetail hunting. I really like the way it shoots and is sure has plenty of penitration...knocks em' dead. It doesn't leave a huge bloodshot bruise, but it pokes a very clean hole. All of my shots into the lungs have gone clean through. My load shoots the RB at 970fps with real BP...I can go hotter with PyrodexP..but I don't like the stuff.

Last edited by freedom475; 01-07-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #14

Default sweet

Nice picture , nice gun , nice story , what more could you ask for on this topic
Nobody died in the Civil War with Modern propellents , that includes Horseys , Elk , Deer , Bear , Pig , and anything else that moved , two footed or four .

Thanks for sharing ! Welcome aboard

Old 01-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #15

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly-A View Post
Nice picture , nice gun , nice story , what more could you ask for on this topic
Nobody died in the Civil War with Modern propellents , that includes Horseys , Elk , Deer , Bear , Pig , and anything else that moved , two footed or four .

Thanks for sharing ! Welcome aboard
Depends on how you look at it. It was modern at the time.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 01-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #16

Default Hawg , did you notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Depends on how you look at it. It was modern at the time.
Hawg , did you notice that this gentlemens revolver was the exact same revolver I sent you ? Was probably nice to have that checkering on the grip panels on that cold snowy day too for him . And the deer was probably mezmerized by the beautiful CCH on the frame and stopped for an instant to admire it whilest grazing , BANG !
And Jerkey was born this day .

Old 01-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #17

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Yep, noticed that.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php