Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > hanging on the nipple

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 594 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1232

Sorry. I forgot the green font.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #12

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Do you have a drum or a snail? My first BP rifle (still have it) has a drum and it was not lined up right so the hammer would not strike the nipple square. Used a wrench and vise to turn the drum, problem fixed. Same issue with a Hawken, so no drum to turn. Had to take the hammer off, heat it and give it a bend. Once fitted, I heated it and dunked it in mineral oil. Been working for 10 years. You would think they would never leave the factory that way???

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 10-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5241 Times on 2733 Posts
Likes Given: 329

The lyman gpr has I guess you would call a drum it makes a 90degree turn. Its got a set screw so you can clean into the barrel channel.

I'm not using a shorter one I just took a few wacks with a file and its clearing the hang point now. If I loosen the drum as it would need to be rotated rearward I would think it would work itself free and become loose under firing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

it did just fine managed to get one group just under the 2 inch mark most were at 2-3 inches.

fired about 50 rounds until i screwed up and didnt fully get the solvent out of the barrel before putting in a charge soaking it down maiking it no longer go boom.

left the ball getter outer at home so called it a day.

really happy with this rifle altho the rear sight sucks. my mosins have better rear sights than this lyman rifle does. the front sight is wide but thats ok for a 100 yard gun but the rear is just aweful.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #15

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The lyman gpr has I guess you would call a drum it makes a 90degree turn. Its got a set screw so you can clean into the barrel channel.

I'm not using a shorter one I just took a few wacks with a file and its clearing the hang point now. If I loosen the drum as it would need to be rotated rearward I would think it would work itself free and become loose under firing.
The Lyman Great Plains has a snail breech. It doesn't move as its part of the breech plug.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 10-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Ahh ok. I'm not that familiar with bp guns and their design.

Is the breech plug on these lyman guns removable for thorough cleaning??

Old 10-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #17

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You can get it off but it takes some doing and is not recommended. I remove the barrel from my .54 Hawken and stick the breech in a bucket of water. I use a 20 gauge bore mop and it pulls water up through the bore and pushes it back out the nipple. A tight patch on a jag will do the same thing.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php