hanging on the nipple - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > hanging on the nipple

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Sorry. I forgot the green font.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #12

Liked 138 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Do you have a drum or a snail? My first BP rifle (still have it) has a drum and it was not lined up right so the hammer would not strike the nipple square. Used a wrench and vise to turn the drum, problem fixed. Same issue with a Hawken, so no drum to turn. Had to take the hammer off, heat it and give it a bend. Once fitted, I heated it and dunked it in mineral oil. Been working for 10 years. You would think they would never leave the factory that way???

Old 10-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6660 Times on 3544 Posts
Likes Given: 498

The lyman gpr has I guess you would call a drum it makes a 90degree turn. Its got a set screw so you can clean into the barrel channel.

I'm not using a shorter one I just took a few wacks with a file and its clearing the hang point now. If I loosen the drum as it would need to be rotated rearward I would think it would work itself free and become loose under firing.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

it did just fine managed to get one group just under the 2 inch mark most were at 2-3 inches.

fired about 50 rounds until i screwed up and didnt fully get the solvent out of the barrel before putting in a charge soaking it down maiking it no longer go boom.

left the ball getter outer at home so called it a day.

really happy with this rifle altho the rear sight sucks. my mosins have better rear sights than this lyman rifle does. the front sight is wide but thats ok for a 100 yard gun but the rear is just aweful.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #15

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The lyman gpr has I guess you would call a drum it makes a 90degree turn. Its got a set screw so you can clean into the barrel channel.

I'm not using a shorter one I just took a few wacks with a file and its clearing the hang point now. If I loosen the drum as it would need to be rotated rearward I would think it would work itself free and become loose under firing.
The Lyman Great Plains has a snail breech. It doesn't move as its part of the breech plug.

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 10-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Ahh ok. I'm not that familiar with bp guns and their design.

Is the breech plug on these lyman guns removable for thorough cleaning??

Old 10-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #17

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

You can get it off but it takes some doing and is not recommended. I remove the barrel from my .54 Hawken and stick the breech in a bucket of water. I use a 20 gauge bore mop and it pulls water up through the bore and pushes it back out the nipple. A tight patch on a jag will do the same thing.

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php