Gun Powder. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Gun Powder.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 01:15 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a little black powder, but I like Pyrodex P. (FFFG) I use it in all my guns 45 and 50 cal , side hammer or inline.I do not like R/S.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
That's your opinion and you're certainly welcome to it. I've been using it for years with no problems. It works in my Hawken, shotguns, .58 Enfield and revolvers. I've used it in cartridges also. The only thing that doesn't like it is my Sharp's paper cutter. Ignition isn't instantaneous with it like it is with the rest of my guns because of the two 90 degree angles in the ignition channel. Do I like black better? Yes I do but buying in bulk online isn't usually an option for me and it can't be had locally.
I agree Hawg, I like pyrodex "P" (FFFG equiv.) It is a lot faster ignition than the R/S... and use it in anything up to and including .50 cal.(Kentucky cap, Hawkins, or CVA., Plains.) Even my inline but never in anything larger than .50. I have some Black powder but it is harder to get here right now.

Last edited by sarg1c; 01-27-2014 at 01:30 AM.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #23

"Triple 7 unlike BP should not be heavily compressed."

I'm not so sure of that. Here is what their site states:

Loading cartridges:
"Loading density should be 100% with light compression not to exceed .100". Testing has shown that Triple Seven will perform best when the bullet just touches the powder."

Loading percussion/flintlocks:
"Seat the projectile firmly against the powder."

I've emailed Hodgdon's several times asking for clarification on what exactly "firmly" means, as well as the need to reduce the powder charge by 15% for safety, which is not what their info states as it says to do so to duplicate a BP load, but they've not responded.

I've read of a few guys who have chronographed their heavily compressed stout loads and they got very good results with maybe a 50 fps variance.

I, myself, have compressed it as much as possible and get similar groups as when I use Olde Eynsford or Pyrodex powder as well. But then the Ruger just seems to do well with any powder or projectile I feed it.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Pyrodex is sh!t and in my area it is two to three times the cost of black powder. As far as I am concerned there is No substitute.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
Ialway shoot Pyrodex "P" FFFG equiv. and never had a problem. Just wish Walmart sold the P as well as RS.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:55 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default pyrdex gun powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Pyrodex is sh!t and in my area it is two to three times the cost of black powder. As far as I am concerned there is No substitute.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
I have some pyodex gun powder i could sell you
Old 07-11-2014, 02:09 AM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No doubt about it, finding real black powder these days can be difficult for most of us.

There is one little gun shop a couple states over, near my childhood home, that sells Goex for about $19 a (1 lb) can. Ended up being about $21 per can after tax.

Other than that, the last Bass Pro shop I was at wanted $25 per can, ended up being about $29 after tax.

Needless to say, I stock up at the little gun shop whenever I can. Bass Pro must make alot on Goex... I would order Goex in bulk online from Powder Inc., but I really wouldn't feel comfortable with 25 lbs of black powder sitting in my studio apartment! I don't think I'd make it out if there was a fire or something!