Gun Powder. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket >

Gun Powder.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have a large Goex Dist. 7 miles from my house. I use more than 2 cases of premium BP per year. Loading for Sharps and Remingtons as well as Flinters uses a lot of powder. I have found Pyrodex to be the less attractive of all the BP Subs. If you are using handguns such as the ROA which can stand max pressures Triple 7 is very effiecent. I load hunting level loads with 255 grs. bullets at velocity over 1,100 Fps.
If you are using foreign made copies of Civil War era guns stay with low pressure BP loads. These guns even with modern steel were engineered for low pressure loads.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #12

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Pyrodex is sh!t and in my area it is two to three times the cost of black powder. As far as I am concerned there is No substitute.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.
That's your opinion and you're certainly welcome to it. I've been using it for years with no problems. It works in my Hawken, shotguns, .58 Enfield and revolvers. I've used it in cartridges also. The only thing that doesn't like it is my Sharp's paper cutter. Ignition isn't instantaneous with it like it is with the rest of my guns because of the two 90 degree angles in the ignition channel. Do I like black better? Yes I do but buying in bulk online isn't usually an option for me and it can't be had locally.

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php
People Like This 
Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 1087 Posts
Likes Given: 1746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
That's your opinion and you're certainly welcome to it. I've been using it for years with no problems. It works in my Hawken, shotguns, .58 Enfield and revolvers. I've used it in cartridges also. The only thing that doesn't like it is my Sharp's paper cutter. Ignition isn't instantaneous with it like it is with the rest of my guns because of the two 90 degree angles in the ignition channel. Do I like black better? Yes I do but buying in bulk online isn't usually an option for me and it can't be had locally.
I agree with Hawg & I still buy some BP, but the only thing I use it in is my flintlocks !.................
Old 01-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
I still buy some BP, but the only thing I use it in is my flintlocks !.................
If you need to stretch your bp a 10 grain booster charge under the Pyro works like a charm but you still have to use bp in the pan.

303tom Likes This 
Old 01-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1440 Posts
Likes Given: 4137

i've used about 100 pounds of Pyrodex. Pyrodex is a very good and consistent powder, about as consistent as it gets. Yep, if you leave a fired gun uncleaned it will rust to crap just like a gun fired with black powder will rust to crap.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #16

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Pyrodex in Black powder cartridges goes "bang". That is about it. You will never see "Pyro" used in match shooting just as in black powder competition shooting. If it were any good the U.S. Olympic teams and others would use it. In muzzle loaders and Buffalo matches shooters will use a high grade of BP.
Pyro is a substitute for real powder. It is not nearly as efficient.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Pyrodex in Black powder cartridges goes "bang". That is about it. You will never see "Pyro" used in match shooting just as in black powder competition shooting. If it were any good the U.S. Olympic teams and others would use it. In muzzle loaders and Buffalo matches shooters will use a high grade of BP.
Pyro is a substitute for real powder. It is not nearly as efficient.
It does a lot more than go bang in cartridges and my .58 Enfield shoots minute of five gallon bucket at 300 yards with it using a 510 grain minie and 70 grains of powder. Substitute yes but it does do the job.

opaww Likes This 
Old 01-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #18

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Why did anyone come up with a substitute? Was there some kind of law, or was there something they were trying to improve on? Seems to me that I here lots of people in the know say real powder is better and last longer.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
Why did anyone come up with a substitute? Was there some kind of law, or was there something they were trying to improve on? Seems to me that I here lots of people in the know say real powder is better and last longer.
They changed the classification of bp from a propellant to an explosive and requiring retailers to store it in a magazine and have a federal explosives license to sell it. They cant display it on shelves, you have to ask for it so most retailers don't want to fool with it. I do prefer real bp but Pyro isn't bad. BTW real bp will last for centuries. Pyro I know will last 20 years or better even after its been opened.

303tom Likes This 
Old 01-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1231 Times on 857 Posts
Likes Given: 1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
Yes, it boils down to laws and regulations. Black powder is more dangerous to store than the substitutes which is one reason smokeless powder replaced it a century ago. Of course a reasonable person would know how to keep it safely but the nanny state has to protect everyone. Honestly it isn't all bad as there are a lot of idiots out there. Anyway, Federal laws on storing, stocking and shipping black powder are much tougher than for today's smokeless powder and Pyrodex, 777, etc.

I can't find BP locally so am glad the substitutes are easy to find.

Edit: I got interrupted during my post so didn't see Hawg's post. He answered it better for you!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Last edited by Quentin; 01-04-2014 at 05:41 PM.