Granulated Vs. Pellitized Powder

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Granulated Vs. Pellitized Powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Default Granulated Vs. Pellitized Powder

Why is it that granulated powder seems to produce more recoil then pellitized powder? In my CVA Wolf 50 cal I have always shot Hodgdon tripple 7 50 grain pellets. I have always used 2 pellets bringing the charge to 100 grains. Since I cant hunt with pellitized powder in CO I thought I had better get used to shooting some granulated powder. So I bought Hodgdon Pyrodex RS loaded it up with 100 grains to begin with and wham what a hit in the shoulder. It was as much as my -06. (yes I always make sure everything is seated tight). The next shot i went down to 90 grains, not as bad but still more recoil. I then went down to 80 grains and that was about the same as 100 grains of the pellitized. I am just learning about black powder shooting so please be patient. I also tried both in my Traditions Tracker inline and same basic results. So I can only assume there is some difference in either the power of the powder or the burn rate. Any ideas? I am sure there is someone here who knows a hell'va lot more then I do about this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9356 Times on 4034 Posts
Likes Given: 1469

Granule powder has more surface area exposed, and burns faster. Low explosives (black powder, or substitute) are deflagrating explosives- meaning it burns, and the spread rate of the flame is slower than the speed of sound. To a degree, you will find similar differences between the grades of real black powder- fG vs fffG, etc. More fff's the finer the powder.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 04-13-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:32 AM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Granule powder has more surface area exposed, and burns faster. Low explosives (black powder, or substitute) is a deflagrating explosive- meaning it burns, and the spread rate of the flame is slower than the speed of sound. To a degree, you will find similar differences between the grades of real black powder- fG vs fffG, etc.
Thank you, I was begining to think no one could clue me in on this one!!!