Grandfather's Gun Collection - Where to Go From Here? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Grandfather's Gun Collection - Where to Go From Here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Worth is relevant. It'd be a dam shame to let some criminal type make off with them though. I have a vault full of my Gpas guns, and all together they probably wouldnt sell for ten thousand bucks, but a hundred thousand of insurance money wouldnt buy peace of mind if some trash stole them, know what I mean?

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #12

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
Worth is relevant. It'd be a dam shame to let some criminal type make off with them though. I have a vault full of my Gpas guns, and all together they probably wouldnt sell for ten thousand bucks, but a hundred thousand of insurance money wouldnt buy peace of mind if some trash stole them, know what I mean?
Actually, no, sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about. If it helps, again, of course they should be secured...

Old 05-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #13

Something in the collection that you want to buy cheap?

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life

Old 05-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
Something in the collection that you want to buy cheap?
Sorry again William, I still don't know what you mean.

I merely indicated that the value is relatively modest in my opinion for what is referred to here as "the collection," and though it should obviously be secured it does not warrant insurance. I don't think I can make it any simpler for you than that William. No need to respond if you still miss the point.

I also don't think someone who is a novice about arms and/or has a well below average income should erroneously build up the expectations of the family, to which I extend my condolences, who apparently doesn't know guns much at all. No need to respond if you take exception to that William.

If you are impugning my character by implying that I was somehow trying to depress the price of any pieces for my own personal gain I would say three things:
1) you obviously don't do much here which includes reading the most popular current thread on the Blackpowder forum, by far, or you'd inevitably have developed a different perspective;
2) only a cur who themselves would act as you indicate would suggest such a thing, and;
3) number two is especially true if you read my comments and understood that I clearly only indicated all arms should be sold through an auction, regardless, including those that the family may want to be generous with. Perhaps Steve will even confirm I didn't contact him personally. So, William, are you a mutt or just illiterate?

In fact there isn't, and probably never was, a reason for you to respond here William.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-28-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #15

Dupe post...

dog_reading.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-28-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #16

Liked 197 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 271

It looks like most of those firearms are C&R and in very good condition. as others have already advised a professional appraisal would be in your best interest and have the collection insured for the amount of the appraisal as with all CR the price can be worth more if there is known history of the firearms

each gun will be separately apraised with a replacement value
IOW what it would cost to replace each individual pistol due to the current market price and the condition of the firearm.
A professional appraiser will also try to find out any history of the arms he or she is appraising you can be a big help to find out if any of the firearms were heirlooms or were they bought from a dealer and try to find any paperwork on the firearms.

You have a very nice collection the wise thing would be to keep it because a retailer will not give you the total worth of the firearms due to they will have to sell it to make a profit so the replacement value will be lower than what a gun dealer will offer.
Keep them and cherish the heirlooms grand pap left you that he intended for you to keep in the family.

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Old 06-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #17

Well, that is a rather nasty response, all of which is incorrect, but I am not going to bite on that bait, as it is only provoking more nastiness.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life