Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Blackpowder & Musket (
-   -   Fort Frederick 18th ce Market Fair 2013 part 2 (

duelist1954 05-02-2013 10:54 PM

Fort Frederick 18th ce Market Fair 2013 part 2
In episode two of our series on the 2013 Fort Frederick 18th Century Market Fair, we'll take a look at the military re-enactors from the Maryland provincial troop manning the Fort for the event as well as one of the largest gatherings of Rogers Ranger's re-enactors in the country this year. We'll also look at some of the performers at the fair.

HockaLouis 05-04-2013 07:02 PM

Forgive me but there is so much more width, breadth, and flavor of the Fair than the videos convey. With 146 suttlers in 2012, hundreds of living history folk camped, and thousands more coming through during the days it is really something special to take in (the general public is welcome during daylight hours with expensive paid parking) and needs a good, full, day to absorb.

Five year's ago I wrote this as an introductory paragraph to my column in a history organization's newsletter...

We recently ventured just south of the Mason-Dixon Line into the historic Hagerstown area of Maryland. On the way to Sharpsburg to visit the Antietam National Battlefield, we spent an afternoon at Fort Frederick State Park with its original 1756 large stone fort built to protect “the frontier” during the French & Indian War. It quickly fell into disrepair except for brief use as an outpost during both the American Revolutionary and Civil wars. Today the reconditioned grounds host interpretations and special events, most notably the 18th C. Market Fair at the end of April with hundreds of 1730-1790 era sutlers and artisans encamped with hundreds more period re-enactors!

We were actually there the next morning too but I only got so much ink.

Here's a little color:

duelist1954 05-05-2013 03:08 PM

Nice video Hockalouis