Flintlock pistols on Top Shot Show

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Flintlock pistols on Top Shot Show

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Flintlock pistols on Top Shot Show

I just watched tonights show and they were shooting flintlock Kentucky pistols. When they were loading, they didn't use a patch on the ball. I have been shooting BP for over 35 years and never saw anyone not use a patch on the ball. Is it just me or isn't leave out a lot of accuracy. They never said, but I assumed the pistols were rifled, though the ball would roll out of the barrel when the pistol was tilted down. Any thoughts?
BPHunter

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHunter View Post
...though the ball would roll out of the barrel when the pistol was tilted down.
BPHunter
The projectile could "roll" out of the barrel? Do you mean it wasn't fitting tight enough in the barrel to stay in until firing? I can't imagine that being good for velocity or accuracy. I'm a rookie, but i like patches, particularly the slimy yellow ones.

Sounds about right for that silly show, IMO.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #3

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yes I shoot flint pistols have for over 40 years. That has to be the most stupid thing I have ever seen. That expert had them load with out a patch? The balls were rolling out of the barrels. This can cause a gun to blow the vent out or damage and ring the bore or worse. Getting air between the ball and the charge can be real bad. This would be like shooting a smooth bore even if the guns were rifled. This sort of thing should not be shown on TV. Some one can get hurt doing this.