Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > First Muzzleloader Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Muzzleloader Question

Group, I'm considering my first muzzleloader, and am looking at the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawkens. This will be used strictly for target shooting with round balls. Is there any advantage to the 54 cal vs. the 50 cal? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bigger hole.

Seriously, IMHO for target shooting I'd go with the fifty maybe even a thirty-six. What is ultimately going to make the difference is the firearm itself, the amount of charge for that firearm, and the patch and ball combination.

Developing a load for ball and cap black powder is akin to developing a load for modern cartridge firearms.The difference is you don't need the dies and press.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #3

Thanks. One hears so much chatter about what is the best, how a 54 will maintain its velocity better and shoot a flatter profile, etc. that it gets to be very confusing. I think I'll go for the 50.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I bought the .54 because IT WAS BIGGER!

Seriously though the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken is a beautiful piece of work. I dearly love mine!

TXnorton

Old 02-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #5

50 call is called the balanced caliber.

The smaller you get , the more accurate you get
The larger, the more knock down power.

Unless you going for Bear, Elk, Moose, or buffalo, Id go with a 50.

If you are going after any of the above, get a better rifle than a third world built production gun.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #6

Any better repros out there other than Pedersoli? I know there are lesser guns.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #7

I see that the Pedersoli's come with either walnut or maple stocks. Any thoughts on the maple? I've never seen a maple stock.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Pedersoli is NOT a third world product. Their quality is hard to beat, and they are affordable. There ARE American custom gunmakers out there that produce some really fine (and expensive) BP rifles.

The maple stock is absolutely beautiful.

TXnorton

Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd go with the 50 cal. Simply because my 50 tends to shoot a tighter pattern than my 54. Both are Investarms Hawkins. Hope that was helpful.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 AM   #10

Default The bigger the better

The bigger calibers are better shooters. As far as target practice goes. We all know the wind. Affects all bullets and the smaller the caliber, the worst it gets. Especially muzzle loaders. Do to the fact of low muzzle velocity out the barrel. The 36 cal and below, you have to factor in the wind, Don't get me wrong. I have a 36cal flint lock and it is a good shooter. But when it is windy I'm better off with a big caliber. Like my TC 54 or Pedrsoli 45. Putting more powder in the rifle. Does help but not much.

This is just my opinion. My wife says my opinion does not mean much. She a better shot then me. And she never practices much.

MUZZLESMOKE If you shoot black powder shoot it out of Pedersoli.....
Laws are spider webs; they hold the weak and delicate who are caught in their meshes, but are torn in pieces by the rich and powerful. OUR GOVERNMENT