Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   First Muzzleloader Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/first-muzzleloader-question-23879/)

RailCrafter 02-26-2010 12:54 PM

First Muzzleloader Question

Group, I'm considering my first muzzleloader, and am looking at the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawkens. This will be used strictly for target shooting with round balls. Is there any advantage to the 54 cal vs. the 50 cal? Thanks.

hunter Joe 02-26-2010 02:33 PM

Bigger hole.

Seriously, IMHO for target shooting I'd go with the fifty maybe even a thirty-six. What is ultimately going to make the difference is the firearm itself, the amount of charge for that firearm, and the patch and ball combination.

Developing a load for ball and cap black powder is akin to developing a load for modern cartridge firearms.The difference is you don't need the dies and press.

RailCrafter 02-26-2010 03:16 PM

Thanks. One hears so much chatter about what is the best, how a 54 will maintain its velocity better and shoot a flatter profile, etc. that it gets to be very confusing. I think I'll go for the 50.

TXnorton 02-26-2010 03:55 PM

I bought the .54 because IT WAS BIGGER!

Seriously though the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken is a beautiful piece of work. I dearly love mine!

Unkown Soldier 02-26-2010 04:26 PM

50 call is called the balanced caliber.

The smaller you get , the more accurate you get
The larger, the more knock down power.

Unless you going for Bear, Elk, Moose, or buffalo, Id go with a 50.

If you are going after any of the above, get a better rifle than a third world built production gun.

RailCrafter 02-26-2010 05:15 PM

Any better repros out there other than Pedersoli? I know there are lesser guns.

RailCrafter 02-26-2010 06:32 PM

I see that the Pedersoli's come with either walnut or maple stocks. Any thoughts on the maple? I've never seen a maple stock.

TXnorton 02-26-2010 08:38 PM

Pedersoli is NOT a third world product. Their quality is hard to beat, and they are affordable. There ARE American custom gunmakers out there that produce some really fine (and expensive) BP rifles.

The maple stock is absolutely beautiful.

RadioActiV 02-26-2010 09:09 PM

I'd go with the 50 cal. Simply because my 50 tends to shoot a tighter pattern than my 54. Both are Investarms Hawkins. Hope that was helpful.

MUZZLESMOKE 03-03-2010 04:51 AM

The bigger the better

The bigger calibers are better shooters. As far as target practice goes. We all know the wind. Affects all bullets and the smaller the caliber, the worst it gets. Especially muzzle loaders. Do to the fact of low muzzle velocity out the barrel. The 36 cal and below, you have to factor in the wind, Don't get me wrong. I have a 36cal flint lock and it is a good shooter. But when it is windy I'm better off with a big caliber. Like my TC 54 or Pedrsoli 45. Putting more powder in the rifle. Does help but not much.

This is just my opinion. My wife says my opinion does not mean much. She a better shot then me. And she never practices much.