You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket >

first BP rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Hot soapy water cleans best. Smokeless solvents have no effect on bp residue. Petroleum based lubes are ok in the actions but not in the bores unless you swab it all out with alcohol before you shoot it.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:52 AM   #22

Liked 1858 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 2009

This stuff is for cleaning out corrosive propellents.
dsc00840.jpg  

Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #23

Liked 127 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

That's made for corrosive primers. Maybe it works for bp, I dunno. I have some stuff similar but never tried it but like I said soapy water is all you need.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
That's made for corrosive primers. Maybe it works for bp, I dunno. I have some stuff similar but never tried it but like I said soapy water is all you need.
I second the motion: hot, soapy water is all you need and then after the heat evaporates all the moisture...apply a little bore butter or CLP before storage.

Be Well.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7380 Times on 3940 Posts
Likes Given: 584

i got some hoppes #9 made just for Black powder. i used it at the range to swab the bore between shots worked great. i used dawn and hot water when i got home. oiled it and stuck it in the gun safe. next time i shoot ill remove the oil before i load it.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 09-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Cva has some great videos on line. America's #1 Muzzleloader Connecticut Valley Arms - Manufacturers of the Accura, Electra, Kodiak Pro, Optima Elite, Optima Elite Combos, Elkhorn Pro, Buckhorn, Wolf
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.