Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > A Few BP Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A Few BP Questions

I haven't shot my BP rifle and revolvers in years. With todays ammo availability and prices, I'm wanting to get back into shooting my BP. I have a T/C .50 hawken and some replica colt revolvers I bought from EMF back in the early 80's.

I pulled out all my old gear and am re-stocking up on cleaning supplies. I just always shot the traditional round ball in my rifle. My main question is powder. All I remember is I shot 2F in the rifle, 3F in the revolvers and I used #11 remington caps on all of them. I don't recall what brand of powder I used, and reviewing all the posts about powder, looking at catalogs, and searching on line, it's leaving me with more questions than answers.

I'm just looking for a powder(powders) thats cleaner and shoots good in my rifle and revolvers. Does that sound like the holy grail of all BP shooters or what?

But seriously, it's like starting all over agiain and I'm just a green bean. Any insight on what to try or to stay away from would be greatly appreciated......................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #2

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I really don't understand people that want to get back to basics and shoot bp but they want to do it with a clean powder. Try 777 but you have to reduce loads by 15% because it's hotter than black. I've heard APP is good but if it's available in your area nothing beats black. Personally I use Pyrodex because bp isn't available here and it's fairly close to bp performance at half the price of other subs. Cleanup is easy with soapy water and isn't nearly as corrosive as most people think.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Buy the Lyamn BP handbook and read it, its a great tool for a BP beginner or a good refresher course.

You can buy real BP on-line at a number of places, delivered to your door by UPS (may be prohibited in some states). Not really cheap at $20 - $25 per pound. Google GOEX or Swiss Back Powder and you'll locate some on-line retailers.

TXnorton
"I love the smell of BP smoke in the morning"

Old 06-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Goex is the old standby and is widely available. I never tried the new Triple 7, Pyrodex is good but I don't use it for hunting in cold damp weather. Over the years I have found that I get better ignition, less smoke, and greater velocity from reduced loads of FFFG powder in my .50 cal rifles ( I use 70gr. max load with 325gr. conicals). If you ever find "Elephant Brand" powder buy it, better yet, let me know and I'll buy it!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #5

I don't recall ever having any issues with the powder I used back in the '80s. I do recall the revolvers fouling up after a while and the walker colt replica was a beast.

As far as the rifle, I remember running a swab thru the barrel every three or four rounds. All this "cleaner" powder stuff I'm reading online with mixed reviews. I'm gonna just start off with some Goex and see from there.

If I pull the trigger, the rifle goes ka-boom and I'm surrounded by smoke, I'll be happy.,.. especially if I hit what I'm aiming at. Thanks everyone for your info..................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 06-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #6

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Revolvers are going to foul. It's the nature of the beast. I've heard lube pills under the balls work well and also heard PAM cooking spray works well on Remington cylinder pins to keep them running but doesn't work on Colt's. I haven't tried either yet. Use a moist patch on round balls in your rifle or a good coat of lube on conicals and you won't need to swab. The lube will keep the fouling soft and the patch or conical will push the fouling down onto the powder and it will be expelled with the next shot.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Stay away from petroleum-based lubes and use T/C Bore Butter. It's a natural ingredient that reduces fouling build-up and greatly reduces the need for swabbing between shots. The more you use it, the more "conditioned" the bore becomes. It is also great for revolvers to prevent chain firing and keep fouling loose.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:29 AM   #8

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

i've always used pyrodex ffg...for round balls or sabots....within 50yrds...using a standard .50cal cva wolf..125grs. of pyrodex,295gr lead ball or a 300gr sabot in .50 & 45 cal and win. 209 primers...all shots hit red in targets...ironsights only!...now i dont know if anyone has tried it or not...i havent but my brother-n-law claims he has used 6grs of bullseye pistol powder in his BP rifles and has had same results as using 150grs. of pyrodex and shooting acturate with it???...he claims this.... im not saying i would try it, but if its true...?????

Old 06-20-2009, 05:41 AM   #9

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ive only been shooting my black powder revolver for a year now so im definately no expert!I use fffg goex ,pyrodex,american select,or whatever I can find that is fffg equivilant.My favorite load so far is 35 grains fffg,.454 lead ball,cornmeal as a filler ,and I use regular crisco to prevent chainfires.I have not used patches or wads yet.for ignition I use remington #10 caps.with this load in my 1858 remington by uberti I can place all my shots in the black on a pistol target at 25 yards.usually fire about 80 to 100 rounds before I get tired of loading it.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
i've always used pyrodex ffg...for round balls or sabots....within 50yrds...using a standard .50cal cva wolf..125grs. of pyrodex,295gr lead ball or a 300gr sabot in .50 & 45 cal and win. 209 primers...all shots hit red in targets...ironsights only!...now i dont know if anyone has tried it or not...i havent but my brother-n-law claims he has used 6grs of bullseye pistol powder in his BP rifles and has had same results as using 150grs. of pyrodex and shooting acturate with it???...he claims this.... im not saying i would try it, but if its true...?????
That can be VERY dangerous. The pressure developed by smokeless powder is in a league of it's own. The slightest mistake can cause you to be wearing a breech plug for an eye or a nipple in your forehead. The pressure/time curve of smokeless vs. black powder is not even close to being similar. I also remember hearing that the steel used in older CVA rifles is NOT the same steel used in barrels of modern smokeless firearms. The only manufacturer I know of that makes a gun in which smokeless powder can be safely used is an inline Savage. All other manufacturers of BP rifles have a warning against using smokeless powder for a very good reason!