Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Enfield Materials Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Enfield Materials Today

I am looking to make some cartridges for an Enfield. I know I can post on CW sites, but the responses can get caught up in accuracy. I am looking for accuracy (but through the barrel) not historical.

Your comments and suggestions are requested

Powder: What should I purchase? FFg powder? I have heard some powder will gum up the barrel quite a bit. I love smoke, so I do not need smokeless.

Minie Balls: I am looking for soft lead .575 (for Federal) and .555 (for British). The .555 is likely to be smooth. Dixie Gun works has different type of rounds, but not sure if others exist. I cannot make custom rounds at this time. Any contractors for small batches?

Cartridges: I have gotten some cartridges from cartridgetubes.com which are very nice. For the British Enfield loads I need an inner cartridge for the round and an outer card stock type material. Any suggestions?

Wax/Tallow: I am assuming just pure beeswax and forget the tallow.

Your thoughts and ideas are most appreciated.

BR/Bill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8428 Times on 3655 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

For an Enfield Rifled Musket, ffG should do for powder. Yes, black powder DOES produce fouling- part of the reason for using grease on the bullet is to help keep that soft. For the love of heaven DO NOT use smokeless powder- EVER- in your muzzleloader. That way lies death and injury to innocent bystanders. You CAN use black powder substitutes, such as Pyrodex Rifle, Triple 7, etc. They substitute VOLUME for VOLUME, not weight for weight. Me, I love the smell of sulfur in the mornings. Swab the bore every 5 shots. no worries.

DO check the caliber of the Minie balls you need- and Track of the Wolf (among many others) can get you what you need.

Grease- well, I prefer the skin oil collected from from 18 yr old redhead virgins during a full moon. The exact composition of what is best has been the source of argument since the mutiny of the Sepoys in India over the lube on their cartridges (If that went over your head, do a Google search- interesting bit of trivia in how to destroy your empire) Frankly, I shoot a .50 Hawken and use Bore Butter, and when I'm out, I use Crisco. You can try melting (in a double boiler so you do not have a NASTY kitchen fire) beeswax cut with Crisco.

Cartridges? Well, I roll my own for a .50 and a .45 Pennsylvania, using JOB Double Wider rolling papers. Roll around a wooden dowel equal to bullet diameter, lick, smooth, let dry, slip off. Slide over base of bullet, tie with a COTTON thread, fill w/ powder, fold end over, drop of glue. Have seen original cartridges that were rolled from newspaper.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 12-31-2009, 11:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the site! The Crisco is a great starting lube that I will try out.

BR/Bill

Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #4

I have A Enfield Rifles. When I use minie balls. I use the .577. They work good

MUZZLESMOKE If you shoot black powder shoot it out of Pedersoli.....
Laws are spider webs; they hold the weak and delicate who are caught in their meshes, but are torn in pieces by the rich and powerful. OUR GOVERNMENT