Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Dueling Pistol?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/dueling-pistol-54640/)

Trez 01-02-2012 06:59 PM

Dueling Pistol??

4 Attachment(s)
This is my first time in this section!.. :p I know next to nothing about black powder stuff, and was wondering what this pistol is..
It was my dads and supposedly is a old dueling pistol, but people have told me everything from its just a well made kit, a replica, or that it could be a real dueling pistol.. So I thought id ask the forum...

It uses a percussion cap and from what I understand, the percussion cap didnt come out until around the end of when dueling was no longer popular, so usually dueling pistols were flintlocks. Most cap pistols of this style are target pistols, but those have rifled barrels and mines smoothbore. In fact, this pistol does adhere to all the rules for dueling...

The gun is marked "2" on the barrel and "action" (I dont know what you guys call that part of the gun...) but both dueling and target pistols usually came two to a set... Theres a "54" marked on the action, and proof marks on the barrel two "B<" and what looks like a backwards "feathery" cursive F.
So do I have a "late" dueling pistol or a repro? Do you think its shootable, or should it be a wallhanger? What about finding out the caliber?
How about cleaning it? Theres some surface rust in the bore that doesnt seem to bad, but how do I run a brush through the barrel when the back of the barrel is closed? Like I said im a noob on BP....:o

(You guys like pics, so theres gonna be a few....)

Trez 01-02-2012 07:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More pics....

Hawg 01-02-2012 07:36 PM

It's a French dueling pistol from around the 1850's. It might be worth a little bit. If it had it's mate and the cased accessories it would be worth a good bit. I wouldn't do any heavy cleaning especially to the outside. Clean the bore but be careful not to get any solvents anywhere else. Percussion caps came about in the 1830's.

thdrduck 01-02-2012 07:38 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone used a "hooked" breech until fairly recent. It is a very pretty piece of obvious quality. You could use a caliper to find out what the boar is, easy to do. I'd say she's a shooter and wall hanger.

Hawg 01-02-2012 07:49 PM

Hooked breeches were around in the 1750's.

towboater 01-02-2012 08:26 PM

Great looking pistol!!!

thdrduck 01-02-2012 08:29 PM

Really, I figured they were a fairly new thing. All the older guns I have seen have a tang and screw. That's good to know.

Hawg 01-02-2012 08:42 PM

It was more of a European thing at first. Not sure when it was first used here but Hawken used them on his rifles as far back as the 1820's.

303tom 01-03-2012 03:27 AM

Those are a couple of good looking pistolas..............

dgaf333 02-06-2012 04:11 PM

very cool guns