Dont know squat - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Dont know squat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #31
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 568 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1171

I don't but I don't think he had any bad business he had me meet him at his house. Said the gun was given to him for some money someone owed him. He did tell me his name, but I didn't pay enough attention to burn it in my brain. Just the timing is weird too.

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 10-29-2013, 02:00 AM   #32
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1063 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is tough all the way around, I hope the father gets in touch and all this resolves itself. Most of my gun purchases have been of the same nature instead of from dealers, but I have not run into anything like this.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:15 AM   #33

Liked 223 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
Ok - now I am confused. I think I will take it apart for two reasons 1) to know how 2) to see if the inside is as nice as the outside. The outside is nice, I give the guy I got from that. Now, once I get it apart I just need to decide the magic cleaning potion - guess I better break out the old secrete decoder ring...or, see some more feedback from you pros. I got 1 hot water and dawn mix. 1 Thompson foam deal. And 1 Crown Royal and Murphy's oil concoction. Give me some better ideas or votes ya all!
deg, I'm a tea totler but I thought you remark was funny!
just remember DRINKIN' alcohol and workin' with guns is NOT smart.
I'm a new guy to this forum but there are folks all over that think they got THE BEST answer out there and if you don't take their advice you're a fool.
I'm an old feller that has found out the more I know the more I know I DON'T KNOW.

DEG, I posted this before reading the WHOLE thread. Follow your head on this, it may bring peace to the family and comfort to you.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Last edited by artbrownsr; 10-29-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:45 AM   #34
deg

Thanks for the words, and I agree booze and bullets are a poor "mixer" - joking, just joking. Well, no I am serious, but the mixer part....never mind, sorry.

artbrownsr Likes This 
Old 10-29-2013, 03:25 AM   #35

Liked 223 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Relax deg, don't be too hard on yourself.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 10-29-2013, 03:31 AM   #36
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1063 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
That is tough all the way around, I hope the father gets in touch and all this resolves itself. Most of my gun purchases have been of the same nature instead of from dealers, but I have not run into anything like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrownsr View Post
Relax deg, don't be too hard on yourself.
Don't be hard on yourself no matter what happens. You bought this rifle in good faith. You have nothing to apologize for!

Old 10-29-2013, 03:36 AM   #37
deg

I want it to get back to the family, I am just hoping the dad calls me back. Then I have to figure out how to break the ice.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #38
deg

Busy day, took grandson to OKC to a pumpkin patch deal. Anyway, the boys dad called me back and sounded well pleased that he was going to get the gun back. I am happy that it is going to work out.

artbrownsr Likes This 
Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #39
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3356 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Sorry to hear how this turned out for you.. About 10 years after I got out of the service, 9/11 happened. Got a lot of folks remembering a lot of different things. Was going through a bunch of boxes of my old books and such. Found an Un mailed letter a friend gave to me to send home to his wife if he didn't come home. Mailed it inside another letter that I had found it and forgot I had it. About 6 months later I got a thank you letter from the widow...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 10-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #40
deg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
Sorry to hear how this turned out for you.. About 10 years after I got out of the service, 9/11 happened. Got a lot of folks remembering a lot of different things. Was going through a bunch of boxes of my old books and such. Found an Un mailed letter a friend gave to me to send home to his wife if he didn't come home. Mailed it inside another letter that I had found it and forgot I had it. About 6 months later I got a thank you letter from the widow...
You know, this deal with me - I'm ok with; as a started this conversation out, I said I didn't really have a hankering or need for this gun. I was just sitting around bored and found what I thought was a good deal; I don't even know if it was. So I think this worked out well. Had it been something I really had wanted or invested some serious coin in, it may have had a different impact. The dad said he was a small time self employed contractor, but did ask how much I had invested in it. I told him getting the gun back to him is what really matters, he truly sounded grateful. So, I think this one worked out well. Your deal probably had a bigger impact because you knew these folks. I think my hardest part was - how to start the conversation with dad....