Dont know squat - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Dont know squat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1252 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also been using hot water for years. Use as hot water as you can stand, you want it to evaporate as quickly as possible. My bp revolvers I used to put in the oven on a low heat for about 1/2 an to make sure they good and dry. (then I got married no more guns in the oven).

I have been using "Bore Butter" inside the barrel and "Rem-oil" on the outside of my rifle.

By the way the crown goes inside you not rifle!

Old 10-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #22

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Ya, don't you dare abuse crown by putting it in your gun! That would be the most expensive solvent ever!

Old 10-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #23

Liked 2079 Times on 1146 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

I have the same gun. I use hot soapy water. I do not use any type of modern cleaning solvents on mine. And I do take it apart when I clean it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #24
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 638 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I am going to leave the Crown thing alone. I was really just funning, no intentions of offending anyone...stupid joke I guess. I think I still want to take it apart for this initial cleaning/inspection, I tried to look to see if there is any corrosion, but it's so dang dark in there. Also, when I get something I am unfamiliar with, I like to dig into it and understand it. Been working on that for 27 years with the wife and I have come to realize just how consistently stupid I still am. Hopefully this BP stuff won't be quite so complicated once I dig into it.

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #25
deg

Ok well now I really feel stupid, well I guess a little smarter now. I pulled the wedge and lifted the barrel off as instructed. Not sure what I was thinking but I really thought I was going to be able to look through it like a "normal" gun barrel - duh. So how do I know if this barrel is good or corroded or just exactly what it's condition is?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #26
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

No reason to feel stupid.

I would spray some gun oil down the barrel and run a patch down the barrel and see what you have. If the bore is fouled it will come out black. If it comes out red then you have some rust and may want to look into pulling the breach plug if this model has one.

If it is a small amount of red I would clean it with a bore brush of the proper size and then the bucket of very hot water. Then use the oil of your choice to coat the barrel, like I said I have been using "Bore Butter", I can't remember who makes it right now. Just give it a quick cleaning before you shoot.

They are fun to shoot and they make lots of smoke.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #27
deg

Well things have gotten weird on this deal. I took the barrel off as you know and noticed a name inscribed in the wood what would be under the barrel. So, I did a little google search and found it belonged to a 24 year old boy who died a couple weeks ago. And the next search item was a news clip about him being stabbed to death. They have caught the killer so it is not an unsolved case, but I suspect the family would appreciate the boys gun back.

Last edited by deg; 10-28-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #28

Liked 1147 Times on 743 Posts
Likes Given: 2031

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
Well things have gotten weird on this deal. I took the barrel off as you know and noticed a name inscribed in the wood what would be under the barrel. So, I did a little google search and found it belonged to a 24 year old boy who died a couple weeks ago. And the next search item was a news clip about him being stabbed to death. They have caught the killer so it is not an unsolved case, but I suspect the family would appreciate the boys gun back.
Yeah , thats a bit on the weird side. Might give the parents a call . Hell chances are they may have never even known he had it, but I would still give them a call . Your gun though and your not obligated to do so .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 10-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #29
deg

I have a call into the dad. I don't think I want it. The boy was 24 years old and I figure as old as the gun may be - it likely could have been a present.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #30
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

As much as I hate to give up a gun(I have never sold one) I think you might be right on this.

Do you know who you bought it from? Was it maybe a member of his family, or God forbid a member of the killers family? Not trying to be a jerk here just thinking out loud.