Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Blackpowder & Musket (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Do the Replicas say they are replicas? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f22/do-replicas-say-they-replicas-37715/)

BigDaddyJim 01-31-2011 09:43 PM

Do the Replicas say they are replicas?

5 Attachment(s)
When my mom passed away last month, she left me a few handguns. I've shot all of them except the 1858 Remington New Model revolver. I've been reading the various threads about the replicas, but how do you know if it's the real deal or a replica?

On the top of the barrel, it says "Patented Sept 14, 1858" Under that it says, "E. Remington & Sons. Ilion, New York USA", and under that it says "New - Model"

Here are some pics, and I appreciate any help. -jim

BigDaddyJim 01-31-2011 09:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I wasn't sure if anyone needed a couple more pics. Under the ram arm, it looks like a 5 digit serial number, and there are a few other stamps, like a "C" and a D, an H (in italics) at points all over the pistol.

Thanks again... -jim

spittinfire 01-31-2011 09:46 PM

That is a very nice piece...too nice to be original is my first thought but someone with more knowledge on these things should be along shortly. Thanks for posting the pics.

BigDaddyJim 01-31-2011 09:50 PM

That was my first thought too, but my step-dad was a meticulous collector of all things. When he passed away, I got some pretty awesome shop tools when I helped my mom clean out the garage. He was a retired nuclear engineer, and tinkered with everything too... he gave me a few pocket watches that he collected, each 100-150 years old.

My mom said that this gun was Al's, as it was one of collectables. I wasn't sure if the replicas had marks that would tell you it was a replica.

Hawg 01-31-2011 11:34 PM

IMO it's an original that's been reblued.

c3shooter 02-01-2011 01:18 AM

Well, for the ultimate word, check with Remington- they ARE still making guns, y'know.

If I had to make a snap judgement, I would agree that is a reblued original. One giveaway on a modern repro will be the caliber marking, and BLACK POWDER ONLY. Since at the time of the originals, there was only black powder.

Of course, MADE IN ITALY would arouse strong suspicions.......... :rolleyes:

Still, looks like a VERY nice revolver. PS- difference between replica (fake gun) an reproduction.

BigDaddyJim 02-01-2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg (Post 433935)
IMO it's an original that's been reblued.

That could very well be... of course, if that is the case, it significantly reduces the value. :(

BillM 02-01-2011 01:38 AM

Pretty sure that if it's a reproduction, there will be some Italian proof
marks on it SOMEWHERE. They are getting pretty good at making them tiny and hiding them.

Hawg 02-01-2011 02:03 AM

A repro doesn't have the Remington name and address nor do they have inspectors stamps tho some do have the cartouche on the grips. It could be a very nicely done fake but a fake wouldn't look that good IMHO.

BigDaddyJim 02-01-2011 10:25 AM

Thanks guys... I have emailed Remington, and hope to get a definitive response. I do think that my step-dad "cleaned up" the pistol, and as a result, it's in very good condition. :-)

Your help is much appreciated. -jim