Did in again !............. - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Did in again !.............

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2950 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Before it was loaded last it was cleaned had a cap fired through it, then loaded & never fired !....................
Fired a cap through it first, then loaded it? I'll play, what problem is that solution for? Admittedly, I'm not really well versed on some of the more intricate black powder traditions, but for the life of me, I can't see what possible benefit that would have.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 11-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #12

Liked 223 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Fired a cap through it first, then loaded it? I'll play, what problem is that solution for? Admittedly, I'm not really well versed on some of the more intricate black powder traditions, but for the life of me, I can't see what possible benefit that would have.
I'm also an ignorant one, but I believe the solution to ignorance is the presentation of knowledge! That's why I join these forums I WANT KNOWLEDGE! I'll share it too if I think I've got something to add.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 11-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #13

Liked 92 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Helps to clear any oil from the nipple and base of the chamber thus resulting in more reliable ignition.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

People Like This 
Old 11-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1259 Times on 856 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
Helps to clear any oil from the nipple and base of the chamber thus resulting in more reliable ignition.
Ding, ding, ding you got that right, cleans & dries the powder pocket & makes for a more reliable ignition !.............

When all else fails.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #15

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts

Your lucky with the deep slow rifling on my 50cal (1-72" .010") I have to shoot at least two fouling shots to get the barrel on target. I use a .490 round ball and a .020 damp canvas patch. One year I stopped on the way to the farm I hunt on to dump a round into the ditch figuring I would reload as soon as I got to the farm (less then 1/2 mile away) as soon as I got back in the truck and started to move a NICE 4 point (Columbia River Blacktail you white tail hunters would call it a 8 point) ran across the road in front of me. With an unloaded rifle and the deer interested making ground the Idea of jumping out getting 50 ft off the road and taking a shot was out of the question.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #16

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Before I load mine for the first time after its been cleaned I pop a cap and then fire a loose charge. I've never had a misfire doing that. Of course if it had been done that way and then left loaded for a year the barrel would be toast.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 11-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #17

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I don't shoot the modern B/P rifles. The ones that use the "Caps" .I prefer the real muzzle loaders that use rocks for fire. Any way if a small amount of 91% alcohol is put down the muzzle and allowed to run out of the nipple it will be dry. This drys fast and saves those caps for real targets.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
I don't shoot the modern B/P rifles. The ones that use the "Caps" .I prefer the real muzzle loaders that use rocks for fire.
Geezer! . Caps are only "modern" you were born before the civil war.........OK, I guess YOU can use that label.

Now those inlines, that seems too modern to me, unless you just want to get in on primitive weapon season.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

303tom Likes This 
Old 11-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1259 Times on 856 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Geezer! . Caps are only "modern" you were born before the civil war.........OK, I guess YOU can use that label.

Now those inlines, that seems too modern to me, unless you just want to get in on primitive weapon season.
I agree, I don`t own anything but Cap & Ball, Flintlock, and matchlock !............

When all else fails.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #20
PRM

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
your leaving it loaded??

you do realize that blackpowder has salt as one of its main components.

it will eat out the base of the barrel over time. if its not got a removeable breech plug that practice can eat away the threads undetected until it kabooms in your face!!
NO, it will not hurt it to leave it loaded. It was not uncommon to still find original muzzle loaders in the 60s and 70s at yard sales that had been loaded over 50 years with no detrimental affects. Black powder does not become corrosive until it's fired. A lot of the original guns have some pitting in the barrels and around the nipples, this is from where they were not cleaned after being shot. Even with that, most of them are still serviceable.

I've personally been shooting 2nd Generation Colt C&B revolvers since the 70s and my revolvers are always loaded. I've never had any problems with black powder affecting the gun.