Deringer .45

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > Deringer .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Deringer .45

Hi.
I need help, does anybody know since when Deringer .45 was produced?
Any references to literature would be wery helpfull.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you're talking about the original Deringer single shot and not one of the multitudes of knockoff's they were made from 1825-1868. Most were.41's but there were most likely some .45's made.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #3

Ok thanks. And how could I recognise a post '50 model ( .45) Cause I work for pollice in my country and i need to identify the year of production of a blackpowder deringer .45. I cant find anythng that would hellp me in the litearature. Informations that I have found are wery unclear cause there was many models and many producers during the years. And most of all there is a huge lack of pictures. It's a wery old weapon so thats why I'm asking for help, and ewery information is wery usefull.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 PM   #4

I'm no expert on them but I seriously doubt you'll be able to pin down a specific year one was made. A specific decade, maybe but probably not likely.
It's also doubtful if it doesn't have a makers name on it you'll ever know who actually made it. If you have access to it you might remove the barrel to see what proof marks are under it. That will tell you the country of origin and might pin down a manufacture date to within 40-50 years.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #5

Last question. Does all deringers have rifled barrels or only these produced after 1850. I found an information in "Flayderman's Guide to antique American firearms" thah all barels used in post '50 model were rifled. But what about till '50?

Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #6

I think Henry Deringer always used rifled barrels. I'm still unclear as to what kind of pistol you're referring to. There were countless small pistols that were commonly called Deringers that weren't. Only the ones made by Henry Deringer were true Deringers.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:19 PM   #7

It's a Deringer replica from Spain. It's a .45 cal 3 inch barel model. In our country we got a wery strict firearms law. You can own with out a permission ony guns that were made before 1850. So if you own a replica of a gun that orginally were produced before 1850 is illegal by our law. I found a detail in books that shows the diference in pre '50 and post '50 models. Pre '50 models got a bag shaped handel and post '50 got a birds head shaped handels. That should do it. I was asking about the barel cause that could be a nother proof that these replica was based on a gun produced after 1850. I really appriciate your help. Thank you a lot for your replyes and time spended on these topic.
And sory for my English if I had miss speld any word or do any gramatic mistakes