cva wolf vs. cva buckhorn
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > cva wolf vs. cva buckhorn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default cva wolf vs. cva buckhorn

I can't decide between the wolf or the buckhorn. It's my first muzzleloader, I have never shot one before and I want to start out with a cheaper rifle before I fork over $700 for a Thompson center encore.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #2

Liked 245 Times on 162 Posts

I had a Wolf that I really liked. It was pretty accurate for a lower end M.L. I got about 10 yrs. ago in a package deal from Cabelas I think? Came with scope, rings, ball starter, pack if Power Belts etc. Pretty much everything but powder. Only around $300.00 I believe.

I only sold it because I stopped hunting with a M.L. as much as I used to. You can spend more $$$ for one with a better name but they all seem to shoot about the same to me.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6663 Times on 3545 Posts
Likes Given: 498

went that route myself. ended up just getting a lyman great plains .54cal and im sorry i even bothered with the cva junk.

i got the version that shoots round ball and is far more accurate than my cva wolf was and waaaaaaay cheaper to shoot
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1533 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 1671

I would not have either one, get you a real front stuffer !............
muzzle-loader.jpg  

Old 12-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2160 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 12094

If you are looking for a reliable, accurate, and inexpensive brush gun, either one will work. if you are looking for easy maintence, go with the Wolf.

My wife picked mine up right before Christmas in 2009 for $200 plus tax at wal mart after the post muzzle loading season roll back. This was for the camo and stainless model, with nothing more than the instructions, scope mounts, and the ramrod. Is it a tack driver, no. Does it have enough accuracy to shoot minute of deer at 150 yards? yes, I know it can shoot better than I can most days.

i have shot the buckhorn, and it is a decent cheap muzzle stuffer, but it is a little more complicated than the Wolf. It's major downfall IMO is the open breech design in Northern or wet climates. The bolt is held back, and the released to strike the primer. This provides entry points for water, snow and ice, which can lead to a lack of bang when you pull the trigger. The wolf, being break action, seals at the breech lessening the odds of a misfire.

Just MHO, if it was a choice as to what i would buy, I would get the Wolf out of the 2 choices above. I own a Wolf and an Optima, and both see almost equall use in the field. I use the Optima, and my Daughter uses the Wolf.

BTW, Nice rifle Tom.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Last edited by kfox75; 12-02-2013 at 04:21 AM.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6663 Times on 3545 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Use some lard on top of the primer or cap to seal from the weather
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosin762 View Post
I can't decide between the wolf or the buckhorn. It's my first muzzleloader, I have never shot one before and I want to start out with a cheaper rifle before I fork over $700 for a Thompson center encore.
I have several side hammers but also a Wolf that I like. real accurate .I always shoot Pyrodex P which is FFFG equiv. .

Old 01-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
I would not have either one, get you a real front stuffer !............
I agree...

Sears And Roebuck, made in Japan...45cal

Thompson Center and Cabelas

Last edited by sarg1c; 01-26-2014 at 12:59 PM.
303tom Likes This 
Old 01-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #9

Anyone shooting with #11 primers, these small plastic things kids use with capguns. They make great primer holders and are easy to use.

People Like This