cva optima Muzzleloader
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > cva optima Muzzleloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default cva optima Muzzleloader

What's the best combination of pellets and ammo to use in a CVA optima muzzleloader

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #2

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Do what? Ill leave it at that

Old 12-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #3

What brand and how many grains of powder and what brand & how many grain bullet do u use ? That easier to understand racer or u need pictures ?

Old 12-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #4

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

No i dont need pics of any black powder,Just wondering where the pellets come in for you??

Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #5

Assuming you are refering to powder pellets, sabots and bullets, we should know what caliber your Optima is. If it is 50 cal, I would use two 50 grain Pyrodex Pellets for the powder charge. If they are black on one end, they go in facing the primer. Bullet selection is up to you, depending what you are shooting at. For starters you could get a pack of Hornady 240 grain XTP's that come with the appropiate sabots. I suggest you get some books about Black Powder shooting. Lyman has one and so does Toby Bridges. CVA has at least one excellent video on this. There are lots of cautions about shooting muzzle loaders. Mark your ram rod with the barrel empty, make sure you seat the bullet firmly on the powder or you may bulge your barrel (short start load), loose powder is measured by volume not weight, standard rifle powder is 2F, if you use Pistol or 3F back the powder charge off by about 20%, Triple 7 is a little more powerful so back that charge off by 15%, clean your gun thoroughly after each shooting session do not wait until the next day. It goes on and on and on, brother.

I'd do more fishing if I could use a gun!

Old 12-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #6

Thanks turbojet excellent info , Sorry I forgot that info but yes it's a 50 cal. I'm not new to muzzleloading just a new gun and was trying to save time and money by seeing what everybody else used. But I do greatly appreciate the info

Old 12-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #7

I ment powder not pellets , I'm a idiot . Sorry racer

Old 12-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1753 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9629

Reid, I use 2 to 3 (100 to 150 grains) Pyrodex pellets, or 2 Triple 7s (75 grains each) in my Wolf and my Optima. My BP rifles do best with 348 grain hollow point Powerbelt bullets, or 275 grain Aero=tip Powerbelts. What the rifle prefers depends on the rifle. My friend has a wolf that preferes 100 grails of loose triple 7, and hornady sabots. (.45 caliber round, sabots to fit his .50 cal, I'm not sure of the weight) Buy small packs of different weights, and play with the cahrge behind it. Just remember to not exceed the total allowed charge of the rifle. Best of luck, and enjoy your new toy.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.