Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > CVA inline .45 muzzleloader

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: lafayette,louisiana
Posts: 2
Default CVA inline .45 muzzleloader

Hi all,

I have a .45 inline CVA muzzleloader that has been loaded (minus the firing cap) for appox 3 years. I loaned it out for a while and just got it back. Will it be safe to fire it? I want to get the load out of the barrel but I want to make sure I want blow myself up in the process.

Thanks in advance

__________________
mcbasinhunter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbasinhunter View Post
Hi all,

I have a .45 inline CVA muzzleloader that has been loaded (minus the firing cap) for appox 3 years. I loaned it out for a while and just got it back. Will it be safe to fire it? I want to get the load out of the barrel but I want to make sure I want blow myself up in the process.

Thanks in advance
Good luck with that! LOL

Seriously, you could have issues getting it to light depending on how it was stored. The best bet would be to pull the breach plug and gently push the load out with the ram rod.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: lafayette,louisiana
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Good luck with that! LOL

Seriously, you could have issues getting it to light depending on how it was stored. The best bet would be to pull the breach plug and gently push the load out with the ram rod.
It's been stored inside.

That's probably what I'll do but it would be easier just to walk outside and shoot it but I didn't know if I would be ok doing that.
__________________
mcbasinhunter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,148
Liked 5284 Times on 2755 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Default

i wouldnt shoot it. just undo the endcap pour the powder out then push the bullet out. its a major advantage for the inlines.

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbasinhunter View Post
It's been stored inside.

That's probably what I'll do but it would be easier just to walk outside and shoot it but I didn't know if I would be ok doing that.
It should be ok to go outside and shoot it...but MY worry would be living in your listed area the humidity getting to the powder charge and you having a hang fire. Hell i would be worried about the humidity getting to the charge in MY local.

I would just dump the load and hope the barrel isnt rusted all to hell.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i wouldnt shoot it. just undo the endcap pour the powder out then push the bullet out. its a major advantage for the inlines.
OH MAN, you aint chittin' 'bout that....i LOVE my inline compared to my side lock for a myriad of reasons...this being one of them.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,148
Liked 5284 Times on 2755 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
and you having a hang fire. Hell i would be worried about the humidity getting to the charge in MY local.
this!!

nothing worse than a muzzle loader with a hangfire!! open the end cap after one and the air hits a smoldering spark *kaboom*. or stick a bullet puller down the barrel and *kaboom*

i dont leave mine loaded. but if it was loaded and not shot for any length of time i would just ditch the charge, not worth a penny of powder.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
this!!

nothing worse than a muzzle loader with a hangfire!! open the end cap after one and the air hits a smoldering spark *kaboom*. or stick a bullet puller down the barrel and *kaboom*

i dont leave mine loaded. but if it was loaded and not shot for any length of time i would just ditch the charge, not worth a penny of powder.

Yeah! What he said!!!
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Heidelberg,MS
Posts: 1,398
Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

I've fired off sidelocks that had been loaded for years and fired like they were just loaded. The only problem is you don't know what he loaded it with.

__________________

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Hawg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:16 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 55
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

If it doesn't fire, You can hook up a CO2 cartridge device and blow it out as well. I believe Traditions sells something like that. My brother has one for his muzzle loader and it works well. It just hooks up to your nipple and you hit the trigger for the CO2 and out comes the round ball or whatever is inside. Here... I found one on the internet.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/RMC/EC_Unloader.asp

__________________

Last edited by hawkman1; 10-31-2011 at 03:21 AM.
hawkman1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Help with ID of a muzzleloader / axe becko Blackpowder & Musket 5 05-09-2009 09:23 PM
muzzleloader help dragunovsks Blackpowder & Musket 5 02-21-2009 03:17 PM
Wanted a good used Inline 50cal Rifle in WV fluffo63 Blackpowder & Musket 3 06-08-2008 11:36 PM
Best Inline MaltoDotMil Blackpowder & Musket 1 09-21-2007 12:29 PM