Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Blackpowder & Musket > CVA inline .45 muzzleloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CVA inline .45 muzzleloader

Hi all,

I have a .45 inline CVA muzzleloader that has been loaded (minus the firing cap) for appox 3 years. I loaned it out for a while and just got it back. Will it be safe to fire it? I want to get the load out of the barrel but I want to make sure I want blow myself up in the process.

Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbasinhunter View Post
Hi all,

I have a .45 inline CVA muzzleloader that has been loaded (minus the firing cap) for appox 3 years. I loaned it out for a while and just got it back. Will it be safe to fire it? I want to get the load out of the barrel but I want to make sure I want blow myself up in the process.

Thanks in advance
Good luck with that! LOL

Seriously, you could have issues getting it to light depending on how it was stored. The best bet would be to pull the breach plug and gently push the load out with the ram rod.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Good luck with that! LOL

Seriously, you could have issues getting it to light depending on how it was stored. The best bet would be to pull the breach plug and gently push the load out with the ram rod.
It's been stored inside.

That's probably what I'll do but it would be easier just to walk outside and shoot it but I didn't know if I would be ok doing that.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5284 Times on 2755 Posts
Likes Given: 333

i wouldnt shoot it. just undo the endcap pour the powder out then push the bullet out. its a major advantage for the inlines.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbasinhunter View Post
It's been stored inside.

That's probably what I'll do but it would be easier just to walk outside and shoot it but I didn't know if I would be ok doing that.
It should be ok to go outside and shoot it...but MY worry would be living in your listed area the humidity getting to the powder charge and you having a hang fire. Hell i would be worried about the humidity getting to the charge in MY local.

I would just dump the load and hope the barrel isnt rusted all to hell.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i wouldnt shoot it. just undo the endcap pour the powder out then push the bullet out. its a major advantage for the inlines.
OH MAN, you aint chittin' 'bout that....i LOVE my inline compared to my side lock for a myriad of reasons...this being one of them.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5284 Times on 2755 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
and you having a hang fire. Hell i would be worried about the humidity getting to the charge in MY local.
this!!

nothing worse than a muzzle loader with a hangfire!! open the end cap after one and the air hits a smoldering spark *kaboom*. or stick a bullet puller down the barrel and *kaboom*

i dont leave mine loaded. but if it was loaded and not shot for any length of time i would just ditch the charge, not worth a penny of powder.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
this!!

nothing worse than a muzzle loader with a hangfire!! open the end cap after one and the air hits a smoldering spark *kaboom*. or stick a bullet puller down the barrel and *kaboom*

i dont leave mine loaded. but if it was loaded and not shot for any length of time i would just ditch the charge, not worth a penny of powder.

Yeah! What he said!!!

Old 10-28-2011, 05:13 AM   #9

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I've fired off sidelocks that had been loaded for years and fired like they were just loaded. The only problem is you don't know what he loaded it with.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 10-31-2011, 03:16 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If it doesn't fire, You can hook up a CO2 cartridge device and blow it out as well. I believe Traditions sells something like that. My brother has one for his muzzle loader and it works well. It just hooks up to your nipple and you hit the trigger for the CO2 and out comes the round ball or whatever is inside. Here... I found one on the internet.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/RMC/EC_Unloader.asp

Last edited by hawkman1; 10-31-2011 at 03:21 AM.